Blade/Handle advice required please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Years ago when I was 15 (im now 40) my mate age gave me a knife after he busted it's handle, I had always wanted this knife and was pleased as anything when I was finally the owner, I have kept it all these years in the hope one day I could repair it in one way or another, then use it as intended. (he broke the sheath too but I was never given that. so eventually with luck thats another project.
Years ago I tried a repair to re-shape the broken area with fiberglass body filler P38? That failed.
Could any of you guys give me advice on whats the best method to either re-shape the broken area or to remove the original handle and make new.
On close inspection it looks as though the blade has a short tang, as it narrows, I assume the plastic handle is acting as the strength for this blade, or it would be, if as original.
I saw a post earlier where "Toddy" has replied to another thread and recomends "polymorph" I pm'd Toddy and he advised I ask within the forum as there may be better solutions?
Btw I have no idea if this knife is worth the labour or time, I have no care for its financial value even if its only a Tenner to buy new, fact is I've kept it for 25 years and would like to make use of it if possible. Oh it has "KJ Mora sweden" on the Blade
Can you help with advice needed?
Here it is.
Thanks for reading.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/britnik/DSC00291.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/britnik/DSC00290.jpg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
You can one similiar for knife £3.69 at Clas Olshon in red.

You can rehandle it quite easily. First off wrap the blade in tape to make it safe to work on then remove the plastic handle by sticking the blade in a vise and with a hacksaw cut away the plastic but stop if th ehit the metal. The hacksaw wont mark the metal much anyaway. as you get so far the handle coem away quite cleanly.

Next to make a handle I willpsot some tutorial lainks when I am at home

HERE is a similiar one I did

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Mora's are a very well known brand of knife! They get recommended almost daily on here.

That handle looks as though it has had it. Toddy (aka Mary) was right to point you to the forum.

The blade on the other hand looks perfectly useful! There are a number of handle making tutorials out there - Brancho has kindly linked you to a good number of them.

I suspect the hardest part will be breaking off what is left of the handle.

Have a look at the links above, you should be able to follow at least one of them pretty easily.

Best of luck
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE