Blacks Billy Cans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Was in Blacks on Friday browsing around and I saw these billy cans:
http://www.blacks.co.uk/camping/camping-accessories/cookware-and-utencils/product/095727.html
I decided to buy them and when I got them home and had a proper look I was very pleased. The pack consists of two billy with pans/lids made from 'hard anodised aluminium'. One is 12cm diameter and sits inside another which is 14cm. Both billys and both lids have folding handles. I managed to fit inside the small can a fire-making kit, a gas burner and small cylinder and a cup. Which meant the entire canteen was contained in the pots.
Took them out on Sunday for an in-field trial. They worked just as well as you would expect them to.
I don't know how long they've been around or if Blacks have had them in previous years or whether they are new this season. I've only just discovered them.
The only downside is that they have no bail arms if you want to cook over a fire. That would be an easy modification though, since they are made of aluminium and easy to drill a hole and fit a chain or piece of wire.
What with zebra billys costing £15 just for one and erratic availability, they have to be a very good alternative and high street availability makes them a very attractive option.
For me, the positives were the lightness, good fit of lids on pots and pots inside each other, good size of pots as well - they are the most useful sizes, good handles, good price and nice all round finish.
The only downside is the lack of bail arm.
Get an 8/10 from me.

I've no connection to Blacks etc.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Tiso do a similar set, though at £20, annodised aliminium, with measuring facilities stamped into the pots, Stoves like the "Pocket Rocket" and the smaller Colemans fit inside, though more important if you're a gas freak is that the small coleman gas canisters nest inside the pots, don't know if the Blacks ones do?
can see here. http://www.tiso.com/shop/coleman/exponent_solo_cookset/
Goatboy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A mate has used an identical set for a few years now and he's very happy with them. I think you've found yourself a bargain there fella.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I bought the Duo cookset last week and used it on ex this weekend just gone. To say i had a bit of interest even from my NCO is an understatement. Everyone else had mess tins and a load of mess and i had my Blacks billy.
You don't need to drill through, a small length of coat hanger wire with two hooks at each end will lift it off a gas stove or a cut down pot handle.
With a small coleman gas ring and cannister it all fits in a webbing pouch with a brew kit and some munches and my titanium spork.. Even a rat pack meal will fit, just squeeze all the food to one corner and plonk that into the water and job done, use the lid as a cup and away you go. Alot less messy than a hexi, mess tins etc.

Less noisy aswell ;)

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
The large pot can hold 1 litre with 1.5cm to spare at the rim, the large pot lid can hold 500ml with 1 cm left to the rim.
The small pot can hold 500ml and the small pot lid can hold 350ml, again with 1 cm to spare before the rim.
I've used the small one for my hobo stove and day trips and the large one is in a utility pouch.

However, if you remove the swing out handles, you'll need to file the support brackets down otherwise they stick out. If you remove the rivets holding the handle bracket on, you'll end up with holes about an inch from the top which would need filling.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Look exactly the same Mastino.
Since this thread started, i've gone from the large billy to the small billy in my webbing, filed the handle loops off and rearranged my brew kit etc.
Fits the utility pouch alot better when wrapped in a muslin sheet which acts as a cleaning cloth and tea towel :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE