Blackberry whisky with honey?

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I've made up a batch of blackberry whiskey using raw cane sugar but I was wondering if you could use honey instead of sugar for a better flavour. Anyone tried it at all? I'm not entirely sure how much honey to use, I used around half the weight of fruit in sugar but would you need more or less if you change to honey?

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
In croatia they add honey to the local moonshine to make a drink that is called "meritsa". I am not sure if that is how you spell it but is how it sounds in english

Chasing Rainbows

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2011
Central Scotland
I've made up a batch of blackberry whiskey using raw cane sugar but I was wondering if you could use honey instead of sugar for a better flavour. Anyone tried it at all? I'm not entirely sure how much honey to use, I used around half the weight of fruit in sugar but would you need more or less if you change to honey?

Please Dave, if your adding blackberries to whisky call them 'brambles'. ;)

I can't imagine the chemicals in honey interfering with this recipe in any way. I think you'd end up with an extremely delicious drink that warms the soul on a cold winter days. Think hot-toddies with with superior ribena added.

I think you're onto a winner mate :)

Chasing Rainbows

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2011
Central Scotland
Ooh ohh! I just had another idea! A light fermantation of your bramble/honey mix before adding to the whisky for some extra kick. (would tht even work I wonder?)

Honey is a different type of sugar to the glucose in raw cane sugar, and has a water content too. Difficult to tell how it'd turn out without experience. You could try reducing the honey by gentle heating, or just add BRAMBLES a little bit at a time and keep an eye on the consisitency. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE