Black Oak-bark Tanned Bridle Leather Belt

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
After selling a number of my London Tan bridle leather belts, made with oak-bark tanned bridle leather from J & FJ Baker, the last remaining traditional tannery left in England, I had a number of requests for black belts, so I've just got some more of this fantastic leather, this time in black.

This is the first belt, made for myself, with a steel buckle that complements the black leather very nicely. Buckle end is saddle stitched with black linen thread, holes punched using a diamond awl, with a leather keeper. The edges are dyed with black edge dye, and finished by burnishing with gum tragacanth using a bone folder (this is the best tool I've found so far for this). However, it does take a long time to burnish the edges of a belt (about 8 ft for a typical belt). The buckle holes are done with an oval punch, as the leather is really too thick for round holes.

The belt is then finished with carnauba cream, though this is hardly necessary, as the raw leather was oozing tallow, which polishes up very nicely itself.

bridle_09.jpg

And here's one of the London Tan belts for comparison. I used undyed linen thread, as that contrasts very nicely with the tan.

bridle_10.jpg

Once I get the commissions sorted out for friends and colleagues, I need to get my membership upgraded so I can offer commissions on here. I'm hoping to get some Australian Nut (a mid to dark brown) a bit later in the year.

Thanks for looking!

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE