Bivi up forcast -4

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Hi Rich,

The bedroll is as you describe mate, My theory was I can get my kit inside the bag and the sleepgear was waterproof outside the bag. Not tested so I dont know.

The candle thing was found in an American magazine "Best of the Backwoodsman Volume 1&2"

It was noted as providing the most longlasting and even light of the home made candles and I can vouch for that It lasted over 12 hours on one burn and surprisingly I didn't move the wick once. It was touted as running on any rendered animal fat especially beaver tails.
very simple and quick to make from a carling black label can someone left behind.

gloomhound

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2008
Charleston
Hi Rich,

The bedroll is as you describe mate, My theory was I can get my kit inside the bag and the sleepgear was waterproof outside the bag. Not tested so I dont know.

The candle thing was found in an American magazine "Best of the Backwoodsman Volume 1&2"

It was noted as providing the most longlasting and even light of the home made candles and I can vouch for that It lasted over 12 hours on one burn and surprisingly I didn't move the wick once. It was touted as running on any rendered animal fat especially beaver tails.
very simple and quick to make from a carling black label can someone left behind.

the Backwoodsman now this I know. I highly recommend this publication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Backwoodsman_Magazine
http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Some of the photographs are verypoor as the fog was quite thick at time, there are a few more for later.

Attachments

• minus5023.jpg
    minus5023.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 167
  • minus5022.jpg
    minus5022.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 165
  • minus5020-Copy.jpg
    minus5020-Copy.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 166
  • minus5018-Copy.jpg
    minus5018-Copy.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 166
  • minus5012-Copy.jpg
    minus5012-Copy.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 168

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Hi webmuppet,

It was a great experience although not as testing as we had hoped. Roll on the next forcast -10 I will be out even if i need to have the next day off work,:lmao:.

My gear is nothing pretty a borrowed army gortex bivi bag(I have since bought two) a 30 mm thermorest inflatable mat, a coleman x 1080 extra large bag(i have lost three stone since last year when i bought it) inside that bag I placed a Tiso peak 3 which I won in the raffle at middlewood, luckily for me with the 1080 being extra large it fits inside like a dream. I would have thought the whole kabundle could be put together for around a 100 quid, though the guy who gave me the heads up on the method stated that two 15 quid bags from argos worked just as well:rolleyes:.

webmuppet

Tenderfoot
Hi webmuppet,

It was a great experience although not as testing as we had hoped. Roll on the next forcast -10 I will be out even if i need to have the next day off work,:lmao:.

My gear is nothing pretty a borrowed army gortex bivi bag(I have since bought two) a 30 mm thermorest inflatable mat, a coleman x 1080 extra large bag(i have lost three stone since last year when i bought it) inside that bag I placed a Tiso peak 3 which I won in the raffle at middlewood, luckily for me with the 1080 being extra large it fits inside like a dream. I would have thought the whole kabundle could be put together for around a 100 quid, though the guy who gave me the heads up on the method stated that two 15 quid bags from argos worked just as well:rolleyes:.

Is having a sleeping bag inside another sleeping bag just standard practice for cold weather then?

leantoo

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 17, 2008
dont drink more beer rations than your used to, as getting up in the middle of the night to drain the snake in the freezing cold aint fun, a night out last weekend proved this, and next time im kipping in my hennessey hammock and peeing in a bottle,

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Is having a sleeping bag inside another sleeping bag just standard practice for cold weather then?

Don't know mate, first time I have tried it. Pleased to state the method coped admirably. Last time I tried sub zero camping about 20 odd year ago I had a down bag which cost a packet. There are plenty of down bags which are capable of the worst that the British winter weather can throw at them.

http://www.onward-outward.co.uk/acatalog/info_261.html

try that as an alternative.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE