Bison Tinde4 Tepee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I am absolutely positively NOT going to miss out buying one of these if there is a second group buy some time.They look great kit,even the smaller versions look pretty damn big to me.

Well if I am not broke at the time that is :eek:

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
I've read this post several times now, and each time I re-read it I get more and more determined to buy one - jeez I've spent a lot of money since joining this site!

Sorry Brendan, one last question from me - Does the tent come prepared to take a stove chimney or does it need modding?

Thanks mate,

Mat

Thorfinn

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2006
West Lothian
Guys, the link you have is all in norwegien surprisingly. So i can't understand.

I really want to get one. I've been saving for a tentipi and if i get one of these i can also get the bison bushcraft pack.

Is there gonna be another group buy?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thorfinn said:
Guys, the link you have is all in norwegien surprisingly. So i can't understand.

I really want to get one. I've been saving for a tentipi and if i get one of these i can also get the bison bushcraft pack.

They all had to learn Norweigen before they were allowed to buy one.... :D
Check this link for some more details...
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=18081&highlight=bison

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I may be mistaken but I don't think I paid anymore for mine than the guys did on the group buy.
I was not stung for import duty so that is probably the main factor but also I had mine only after one week from ordering, the group buy guys have been waiting since before Christmas.
That was probably due to stock levels at Bison and organizing finances for a pallet load of the things.

Another note to stop any confusion is that my stove in the picture is not a Bison stove which is only really car transportable it is a collapsible kifaru which weighs in at a smidgen over 2 kg including stove pipe.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Brendan said:
I was not stung for import duty

Hold onto that thought. If your Tipi was delivered by Fedex then you will get your Duty and VAT bill any time in the next month to 4 months. The group buy hammocks are delivered by Fedex and they always wait till you think you have gotten away with it before springing the bill on you :rolleyes:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Not to worry. mine was delivered (or rather, collected), from parcelforce. There was no duty to pay on it, so i guess i'm clear, i heard that they pay any duty due and you have to pay it back before you can get your parcel.
By the way, it's interesting to note the difference in the poles between the tinde and tundra (the nylon and polycotton ones). Yours look likes it all packs down in itself, whereas mine is just 4 long sections of the same diameter, held together with shockcord.. I guess the tinde is more for backpacking so the design saves a bit of space.
Great tents though.
Baggins

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
baggins said:
Not to worry. mine was delivered (or rather, collected), from parcelforce. There was no duty to pay on it, so i guess i'm clear, i heard that they pay any duty due and you have to pay it back before you can get your parcel.
By the way, it's interesting to note the difference in the poles between the tinde and tundra (the nylon and polycotton ones). Yours look likes it all packs down in itself, whereas mine is just 4 long sections of the same diameter, held together with shockcord.. I guess the tinde is more for backpacking so the design saves a bit of space.
Great tents though.
Baggins
Yeah, mine wasn't delivered by fedex so I'm not too worried about the tax issue.
I hadn't realised the poles were different between the two styles, strange really.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Hi folks.

Newbie to the site but have been reading the posts and threads re: Tipi style shelters.

Was planning on geting a Golite Hex 3 for year round solo / (2 max) use in Scotland, the appeal being low weight for backpacking / pannier carrying, the 4 season rating, as well the space associated with these styles of shelter.

However, discovering this site has truly thrown a spanner in the works! I now know of the Tundra and Tinde models and just cannot decide!

Ideally I would get both the Golite Hex for longer distances AND the Tundra 4 for full on winter car camping (the stove/fire box has a great appeal!) However, the drawback is I have a small-ish flat, and so drying the Tundra would be very difficult and on top of that, even I would struggle to justify owning 3 tents (current one is a golite Den 2)

This leads to the Tinde 4- An ideal compromise perhaps.

However, I am a little concerned that the weight would limit the usefullness of the Tinde (4kg is not that bad, but wouldnt want to take it on a 4 day walk through the Lairig Ghru!, the golite WITH nest is around half that).

What I am looking for I guess is some insight / experience into the Tinde 4 in use in Scottish conditions- particuarly during Midge season- would the midge netting in the door be enough for example?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

KP

ps- great site by the way!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you do go for the Hex 3, don't buy the nest but get the mozzie net from IKEA, it goes over a bed and with some minor modifications, basically sewing on some buttons, it fits in perfectly and only costs a fiver!

I've got a Tinde 8

I used it last week in Glen Etive

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/badgergrod/20feb07etive012.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/badgergrod/20feb07etive011.jpg

It rained quite heavy during the night and it did really well. Mine is double the size of tinde 4 and with hindsight into the size of these tents I really should have went for the 4. The 8 will easily sleep 10 people! The midge net door should keep out the midges ok however, please do remember midges hatch from damp wet ground and they may hatch from under you if you have the tinde set up so I would reccomend that you use a ground sheet or pitch it with careful planning.

You will need to midge proof the hat area at the top too with a midge net draped over to stop them coming in there.

Hope this helps

Woodsmoke

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Cheers guys.

Spamel- already seen your mossie net idea and am well impressed! worth trying before forking out for the inner.

Woodsmoke- the pics are awesome- it looks very impressive.

I think I will go with the hex 3 just now.... and then get a Tinde 4 for next winter!! At the end of the day, I guess a nice selection of tents allows for considerable flexibility!

kp

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Brendan, did you order your Kifaru stove direct from Colorado? I have been making a stove, the box is finished, lid, adjustable air vents etc however i have come a bit stuck with the chimney, and really like the Kifaru chimney design. can you buy them separately?

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Thorfinn said:

Thorfinn,

There is a bitish flag in the top right hand corner. Just click that and you get and English version of the site mate.

http://www.bisontelt.no/eng/default.asp

Hope that helps,

Matt.

Solitude

Tenderfoot
Hi Chaps

Word of warning just becarefull when buying from Bison direct as you will have to pay 12% Customs duty (as the lavvus are made in china originally) and VAT at 17.5% on top of what your paying them.

So to buy at £155 would mean you will have a knock at the door for £27.12 VAT and £18.60 Customs duty a total of £45.72 + £155 = Your £155 Tinde will end up costing £200.72

Customs will catch up with you:deal: . Far better to buy from a UK supplier and preferably one who doesnt charge VAT i see there is a UK supplier selling a tinde 4 for £155 No Vat No Delivery charge. Cant be anymore specific , you will have to find em.

Do a UK google search for 'Tinde Tundra', there are a couple of UK suppliers and you wont get stung later on by Mr Customs man!!

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Brendan, did you order your Kifaru stove direct from Colorado? I have been making a stove, the box is finished, lid, adjustable air vents etc however i have come a bit stuck with the chimney, and really like the Kifaru chimney design. can you buy them separately?

Sorry billycan missed this post until it raised it's head again:)

I did order from Colorado and you will have to (if you haven't already)contact them for a price for just a stove pipe as they only have the whole stove listed on their site, or join their forum and ask on there.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE