Birk Brow to Danby a Wander on the N Yorks Moors.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Sometimes no matter what your intentions are the plan goes out of the window.

That’s how it was the other day. The plan is simple a decent walk on the N Yorks Moors. Sunday had given a taster with a punt up Roseberry Topping sitting on the sandstone blocks on the summit the Open Moors beckoned but weighed down with Children and picnics that wasn’t on the Agenda.

Today being a Monday started badly getting up later than planned then parental duties conspired against me and meant that a quick drive from Loftus up through Liverton Mines and along the A171 getting dropped off at Birk Brow and it’s welcoming Burger van at approximately 10am not exactly an Alpine Start.

A reasonable couple of Pounds later and I’m orienting a bacon butty rather than the map as my lift recedes into the distance.

Todays plan is simple follow a path from Birk Brow across the Moors then drop down into Danby and get picked up at the Moors Centre. A quick look at the map advises the terrain is pretty flat. As I want to move a speed I’ve forgone my Lowa’s for my new racing snake boots in the form of a pair of swish looking Aku’s that I’ve resolutely broken in cutting around the outdoor shops of Keswick and a visit to Penrith Survival in Appleby.

The first part of the walk and the July weather is giving me rain showers and the terrain is flat but the odd peaty patch on the track is giving me second thoughts about the Aku’s and their total lack of waterproofing.

The path slowly transforms into a series of interconnecting Sandstone flags and on these the Aku’s are much happier. I scream along pausing at a Tulmini located next to the track. The dream team of M73, Ortlieb mapcase and OS 1:25k map make navigation a breeze. Soon I hit a short Stretch of B road that’s going to lead me down to White Cross and pick up another track junction.

374d6909.jpg

Typical Terrain. Heather Moorland and fairly flat.

bf73afc0.jpg

A Tumulus stock favourite of the OS cartographer.

54d7865e.jpg

Aku’s Real Racing Snake Kit. Comfy, Lightweight, good grip what else could you ask for in a boot? Waterproof? No. Thus proving you cannot have everything in life.

7ae5d542.jpg

Navigation Kit par excellance…

I deviate from the road to inspect a Boundary stone marked on the Map and soon I reach White Cross then hang a left on a 4WD track for approx 4 K’s stopping for a drink and inspection of an old Fence post on the way. The 4WD track leads me towards Danby with increased pace and the Aku’s are proving to be fine on the track and amongst the heather.

I keep passing Dead birds Grouse or Pheasants victims I suppose of the unseasonal wet and cold weather. I eventually turn off of the 4WD track and head back onto the open moor heading for Danby…

I stop for lunch next to an old stone marker It’s only 3-4 feet high but it’s visible from over a K away confirming how flat the landscape is up here on the tops. After a sandwich and packet of crisps I head down towards Danby and pass several traps which have attracted black beetles. I guess someone is running a study… Eventually I hit the road above Danby and contour around the open land above the village before dropping down through a small copse of mature Beech trees and I arrive at the Moors Centre early for my pick up…

b7d65feb.jpg

Boundary stone N Yorks Moors

32b77c8c.jpg

White Cross accurately if unimaginatively named…

91c61f41.jpg

Sadly this sign should have read lots of Dead Birds about…

77de42cb.jpg

A not so Famous Grouse….

76f20dc4.jpg

Sad….
:(

16462ec8.jpg

Marker Stone Above Danby..

ac686207.jpg

Beetle Trap lots of Heather but no Heather Mills ;)

c523c482.jpg

Ah Danby…

fd846645.jpg

Woodland on the way to the Moors Centre…

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE