Bird Of Prey...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Ooo, that's a good one. I like that.

But mine is, that when a kestrel hovers it always hovers facing into the wind. Which makes sense really.
So you could use a kestrel as a wind indicator.

49323000978_db5e5ddefc.jpg

How about; they see quite far in the ultra violet?

The explanation I heard for this is that they can see urine trails from the small mammals they hunt. If you have ever used a UV flashlight in your bathroom, you can understand why.

Animals like voles have "runs" they commonly use to move about. Seeing in UV would help the bird see the trails the voles are using.

- Woodsorrel

Reactions: dwardo

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmm... but woodpigeons see in the ultraviolet spectrum as well and they don't hunt :) - which is why you must never wash your camo jacket in a modern washing powder; the 'whitener' causes it to shows up like a beacon in the woods to flying quarry!

I believe that kestrels are the only bird of prey that can hover in still air; i.e. they don't need wind to keep them in place - whereas buzzards can only hover on an updraft for example. So, to be honest, I'm not entirely convinced that the kestrel would be a reliable wind vane - well, not any more reliable than a wet finger anyway.

Reactions: woodsorrel

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As said red-footed falcons hover exactly as kestrels and sometimes they are not so easy to tell apart. Ospreys hover well too and rough-legged buzzard does it sometimes. Some more exotic ones probably do too.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I stand corrected, apparently a kestrel does need a breeze to hover (having now studied a few semi-academic publications) - and it appears that all sorts of raptors are seen 'hovering' at times. So, I don't really understand why it is commonly quote that the kestrel is the only bird that hovers! I think it all depends on the definition of hovering.

I have only seen an osprey hover for a second or two as it prepares to dive. Buzzard will stay on an updraft for minutes but I've not seen one stay in exactly the same place like a kestrel does.

BTW, we don't have red-footed falcons in the UK :) - do you have them in Finland? I thought they were more Eastern than that.

Reactions: woodsorrel
Mmm... but woodpigeons see in the ultraviolet spectrum as well and they don't hunt :) - which is why you must never wash your camo jacket in a modern washing powder; the 'whitener' causes it to shows up like a beacon in the woods to flying quarry!...

Broch, deer have the same ability to see UV. Because I love to observe wildlife, I also wash my outdoor clothes in a detergent without scent or chemical brighteners. If you have a UV flashlight, you can use it to examine the clothing you wash in regular detergent. You will see the residue fluoresce - it's interesting to observe.

I don't know anything about woodpigeons. But deer in my area are crepuscular and nocturnal. They start to forage as the sun goes down. During this period, there's not much visible light. But UV light is still relatively strong. The prevailing theory is that deer's ability to see into the UV portion of the spectrum helps them operate at dusk and dawn. Do woodpigeons fly/forage/migrate at dusk/dawn/night?

- Woodsorrel

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Yes we do have r-f falcons, very rare, I have seen maybe 3-4 times. Fairly common in Hungary and Romania where I have watched them. Seen them in Greece quite often.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Mmm... but woodpigeons see in the ultraviolet spectrum as well and they don't hunt :) - which is why you must never wash your camo jacket in a modern washing powder; the 'whitener' causes it to shows up like a beacon in the woods to flying quarry!

I believe that kestrels are the only bird of prey that can hover in still air; i.e. they don't need wind to keep them in place - whereas buzzards can only hover on an updraft for example. So, to be honest, I'm not entirely convinced that the kestrel would be a reliable wind vane - well, not any more reliable than a wet finger anyway.

whats the best non-modern washing powder to use?

I have resisted washing my jacket for quite some time, and just hang it to air if it gets dirty or leave it in the rain if its muddy etc.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Humming birds can fly backwards and hover to match the swings of a nectar feeder in any wind.

Check in the Cabela's catalog in the hunting section = they do sell detergents without "Optical Brighteners".
I wear snow camo for deer and late autumn Canada geese. I'm told that I'm invisible at any range (barrel cover, too.) In snow covered fields, I don't get very dirty to wash my shell clothes.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
whats the best non-modern washing powder to use?

I have resisted washing my jacket for quite some time, and just hang it to air if it gets dirty or leave it in the rain if its muddy etc.

In the States you can get a military quality detergent that contains no 'brighteners' but I've not found the equivalent in the UK. Most eco-friendly claiming detergents don't contain the chemicals that brighten/whiten clothes but the only one I've tried is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...rl-21&linkId=a7a90e83243913dccf1e5d5ec9b4980d

Though, to be honest, my Realtree clothing very very rarely sees a wash :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I once told that the hen harrier is the only UK bird to properly hover. Something about wing motion rather than wind and aerofoil effect from wing shape assisting with uplift. No idea how true but if you define a hover as only due to wing motion then you probably rule out most birds.

Hummingbirds hover due to speed and motion of wing. Kestrel hovers using wind over its wings I guess. Does that mean it's not a true hover?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE