Bird of Prey ID?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Taken with a point and shoot froma fair distance.

Is this a buzzard? Never seen one in this area before.
Normally the kestrels hunting patch. It was hovering/hunting in the same way as the kestrel.
It was substantially bigger than a crow.

IMG_1024_zpsb60b98c3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

6d43c415-49de-4e2e-b3ef-44666735197b_zpsa33db054.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
Looks 100% Kestrel to me except for the reported size. As John says the tail is a fan rather than a fork which rules out Red Kite, and there really aren't any other raptors which match the colouring. Maybe someone's been feeding the local vole population growth hormones? :)

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Male kestrel. In the first pick you can see the rusty brown of the back going into black towards wing tips. In the second the tail is concave not convex ( so not a kite ) it's grey with black tips. Without doubt a male kestrel.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Ok I stand corrected.
Put Red kite in on Google, then click images, there are lots of pictures on there where the fork is not that prominent in the tail ? Maybe the more they spread the tail the less obvious the fork is ?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ok. Sounds like a male kestrel then?

It was as big, or bigger than a crow. Maybe not substantially bigger as I posted originally.

But a lot bigger than the other kestrels ive seen hovering in the same spot. Which is what made me think it musnt be a kestrel

Last edited:

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
When fully spread the tail can appear fairly straight. This happens when it's being used at full stretch for example during a turn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE