Bird I.d Test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, all. I'm currently in the process of learning 30 pre-set British bird species and their scientific names. I recently did this for trees for my Species Identification Certificate unit and got a distinction star as I knew all of the common and latin names. However, I've neglected bird i.d. I wonder if any of you would like to help me? My test is on the 4th November.

I'll write down the groups (might not be entirely accurate) and without looking at any sources pair the Latin to the common names from memory. I've only been learning them for a week and a half. The spelling might be a bit off but in the test it doesn't matter too much.

There's probably a better way to do it than this. :)

Tits and Tiny Birds:
Blue Tit - Parus Caeruleus
Great Tit - Parus Major
Coal Tit - Parus Ater
Long-tailed Tit - Aegithalos Caudatus

Gold Crest - Regulus Regulus
Wren - Troglodytes Troglodytes

Finches:
Chaffinch - Fringilla Coelebs
Greenfinch - Carduelis Chloris
Goldfinch - Carduelis Carduelis
Siskin - Carduelis Spinus
Bullfinch - Phyrulla Pyhrulla

Thrushes:
Mistlethrush - Turdus Viscivorous
Songthrust - Turdus Philomelus
Fieldfare - Turdus Pilaris
Blackbird - Turdus Merula
Redwing - Turdus Iliacus

Corvids:
Jackdaw- Corvus Monedula
Jay - Garallus Glandarius
Carrion Crow - Corvus Corone Corone
Raven - Corvus Corax
Rook - Corvus Frugilegus
Magpie - Pica Pica
Chough - Pyhrocorax Pyhrocorax

Misc:
Greater Spotted Woodpecker - Dendrocopus Major
House Sparrow - Passer Domesticus
Dunnock - Prunella Modularis
Treecreeper - Certhia Familiaris
Robin - Erithacus Rubecula
Nutchatch - Sitta Europaea
Starling - Sturnus Vulgaris

How did I do? I hope this helps others also.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
All the ones that I know without looking up you got right.

One thing to know is that by convention, the Genus has a capital letter, the species does not. So, Parus caeruleus, not Parus Caeruleus. Also by convention if you are typing then the scientific name should be in italic font.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks good to me; though I'm no bird expert.

One trick that worked for me when learning plants and then trees during training was to try to make a little story attached to them (doesn't work with them all) to aid my memory, hence stinging nettles became Urtica dioica. As it 'urts when you touch it. Forget-me-nots Myosotis was remembered by the joke "what's that plant?" "A forget-me-not!" "My Oh So It Is!"

The list goes on and gets tenuous in places believe me.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Looks Ok. I would try Genus groups and keep it simple. All species on your list, in the same genus on a day/week basis. Then one day/week on misc. Good look.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thanks, all.

Oh yes, believe me I made up plenty of little stories for trees. In my conservation class I was considered the most knowledgeable about trees and people would ask me for help, but that was all thanks to the way I memorised them. I put them into groups and made up some tales for them. Some were visual, e.g. the Norway Maple (Acer platanoides) having the most jagged leaf structure than the other Acers on the list and so to me the leaf structure looks like the jagged profile of Norwegian mountains. Wayfaring tree (Viburnum lantana) has large clusters of bright flowers and so I translated Viburnum lantana into "vibrant lantern". Sometimes actually understanding part of the Latin name helps... Dogwood (Cornus sanguinaea) is easy to remember because the leafstalk is red. Sanguin means red, of course. Hawthorn (Cratageous monogyna) is easy to remember because "mono" means one and "gyna" means seed, and Hawthorn has a single seed.

I'm doing it for birds now too. Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris) is easy to remember because for me trees are "familiar".

Cheesy, but it works. I'm actually quite enjoying learning birds. I'm considering getting into birdwatching. Some of them are just so aesthetically pleasing. I used to know only the large birds of prey but the smaller ones are just fascinating.

Last edited:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Midland Hawthorn has two seeds. Crataegus Lavaegata and is shade tolerant. Assumption is the mother of all... So if in doubt, knowing the Latin genus name is closer than close enough when ID-ing verbally.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE