birchbark - woven kindling tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
came across this idea when i was messing about with some birchbark. They make excellent firelighters for their size/burn time ratio and could with a bit of ingenuity be primed to take a spark.
Start with some bark and rip it into 1cm ish wide pieces.
P4010003Small.jpg

then rip them carefully into 0.5 cm strips. You need four of them.

P4010008Small.jpg

fold the pieces exactly in half and with the loop made in one of them, insert the tails of the other

P4010014Small.jpg

do this with another...

P4010018Small.jpg

and finally the fourth and you will have a square. in theory!

P4010020Small.jpg

Pull it in tight.

P4010023Small.jpg

now this part is the middle and on either side you must tie four strand crown knots. Sounds complex but really all you must do is loop and trap each of the four strands under the adjacent one. Perhaps researching the knot may help at this point if you are stuck.
Three strands folded over...

P4010025Small.jpg

top half complete.

P4010029Small.jpg

and the other side.

P4010031Small.jpg

here is a size comparison to a bahco folding saw blade.

P4010032Small.jpg

and a whole load of them whic took about 1/2 hour to make

P4010034Small.jpg

and the most important part - it burning

P4010038Small.jpg

some of the tightly woven ones have lasted a long time with aconsistent flame and are excellent as firestarter after igniting something with afire steel. You probably could weave it a dfferent way, but this is quite simple.
Have fun,
woodwalker

Reactions: Ahjno

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
:You_Rock_

That's briliant - natural Esbit tabs ;)

I'm wondering if you could prolong the burning time if some wax / (pine) resin is added in / on the crown knots ...
Thank you for taking the time to make this excellent tutorial and for sharing your idea :D

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Fold one of the strands back on itself, leaving a fair sized loop, then fold the one anticlockwise to it back on itself as well. This will trap the first folded over strand. Keep going until you come to the last one, where you thread the strand through the loop you made to start with.

Repaeat, but you'll be going the other direction do.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
I have to admit when i read the thread name i envisioned the burning or clothes! but it looks like a pretty reliable way to light a fire in the rain, so i like it! after all i have in the past made cotton wax tablets to carry with me for lighting fires in the rain...when i run out they can be replaced with birch bark firelighters!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE