birch wood

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
hi everyone,

this side of christmas myself and father in law are cutting down a 15 metre silver birch in my garden. the tree is a mature tree, and has produced 2 batches of catkins this year so is for the chop.

what would you guys do with the wood? lots of carving potential i know, what is it suitable for mostly?
ideas and laterall thinkers welcome!

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I dunno' for sure if it would work, or indeed if you have use for it, buy you could keep a little of the trunk aside in a dark and damp part of your plot to see if you can farm a little birch polypore?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'd pick the biggest burl chop it of and send it to a BCUK member called Everything Mac. :p

or raffle it off?

lots of bowls/spoons/kuksa's??

Andy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I like Birch, it's my favourite wood for carving.
Depending on the diameter of the trunk I'd be making bowls, Kuskas, spoons, spatulas, all sorts of things.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i would leave 6' standing for birch polypore*, remove all the bark for fire lighting, split the main part of the trunk up to season (except the thickest part, which i would make into a large bowl) and use the larger diameter branches for carving and all the smaller branches as kindling.

*once it has all rotted away (a few years if its standing) you will be left with a 6' tube of birch bark, or if its too dry to rot it will just season slowly (make sure you cut off any new growth, polypore will kill it once established).

Stiks

Mar 21, 2006
N. Wales
After all that carving I wonder what Birch chippings/saw dust is like for smoking fish, anyone?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE