Birch Sporks

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I've been tinkering with some birch bits of late and rather like how these turned out:

G6jPzbGl.jpg

B3dmzgXl.jpg

Spot the near misses with fine splitting by the tines and guess which one I had to recover!

Main learning from this was to drill small holes before cutting the tines to prevent the splitting; I kind of knew that anyway but was impatient.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks folks.

The smaller one of the three had a LOT of sanding and I like the depth of the grain that shows up.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
You can't see it from those pics but they all have a slight lateral twist in them which is how they split out.

I always leave that twist in my spoony stuff as it relates back to the unworked branch and I like that connection to the tree, even after I've finished.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Very nice shapes, I really like those a lot, especially the smaller one, and I very much agree with your comment about leaving some connection to the tree they came from; I always try to do that, and it doesn't at all get in the way of design.............it enhances it.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks again folks; I think it was my initial incompetence that led me to leave the twists in my spoon work; now I like to think of it as a diagnostic feature of my style.

Pretentious? Moi?

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE