Birch sap tapping equipment

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but I want to make sure I have all of the necessary kit before next spring. I know I could carve wooden pegs and spouts and mess about etc, but I see this kit leaving less of a scar on the tree and a smaller hole to plug which should therefore heal quicker.

Looking on the bay, I found some spiles used for collecting maple sap to make maple syrup, they should work for birch just as well. Then I will need some hose to connect from the spile to my container of choice. Is this item appropriate?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-16-8mm-ID-C...ryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There seems to be a good quantity of it, so I can set up a number of collectors and then stay out the night and collect and plug the next day. Of course, we're talking next March (!) but I see no reason not to be prepared in advance! Also, if they can't deliver the kit in 8 months, something is definitely wrong!

Thoughts please!:)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
If you dont want washer tubing go to a homebrew shop for syphon tubing for brewing its food grade.
Many Wilkinson shops sell it.
I used that a cordless drill and 8mm wood bit(depends on tubing size).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE