birch burl or not???

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I have seen some great stuff in the past that has been carved from "burl". Now, Im not exactly sure what this elusive "burl" is and how to carve it.

So below are some piccy's that is like someone to tell me if this is a burl or not. If it is, then how do you get all those fabulous colours in the wood. You can see were I have token a chunk out of the wood and it just looks normal underneath. HELP????

005small.jpg

004small.jpg

Cheers
Stu.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Yep that one is not what you would really cal burr. That is probably a response to bark damage and the wood is clearly just twisted and does not have all the tiny undeveloped budds which are the characteristic of a true burr.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Yep that one is not what you would really cal burr. That is probably a response to bark damage and the wood is clearly just twisted and does not have all the tiny undeveloped budds which are the characteristic of a true burr.

I was hoping you would answer Robin. Can you give me any more info on a "burr" (and not burl afterall), and maybe a photo.

Cheers mate
Stu

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I was hoping you would answer Robin. Can you give me any more info on a "burr" (and not burl afterall), and maybe a photo.

Cheers mate
Stu

Burl is what Americans call it burr is the same thing. It look like a bunch of little twigs all growing from the same spot and all only 1/2" long. I'll see if i can find some pics.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Definately not, would leave it open to diseases and infection and could possibly kill it. you should ask a local tree surgeon or similar.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Cutting burrs from trees is something that has been done for years in the US and I have seen many photos of old trees with scars many decades old and the bark slowly trying to regrow to cover the wound.

If you do it, effectively you are breaking the bark/cambium circle and the path of water up and sugars down. It is just the same effect as an animal, horse or squirrel say stripping the bark. 10% has a minor effect 50% of the circumference could easily kill a tree. Then the exposed scar is also a route in for fungi.

I would strongly recommend felling the whole tree assuming it's on your own land or somewhere you have permission and allowing it to regrow from the stump or something else to grow in its place. For most of us the best place to find burrs for use is not the woods but the tree surgeons yard.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
"Sealing" pruning cuts is a practice that has long since been abandoned in horticultural and arborocultural practice. Any sealant creates a moist environment perfect for the growth of harmful bacteria and pathogenic fungi. There is no question that cutting through the inner bark of a tree does cause damage, the only question is the degree. The damage can take years to fully manifest itself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE