Birch Burl Bowl - WIP

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I was given a lovely Birch Burl yesterday by my good mate Hugo. He had originally got it from Peter at the recent BCUK Sussex Group March meet and had made a start on it at the meet.

DSCN4150.jpg

I had commented that i wished i had picked up a burl at the meet, so Hugo does no less than gives this one to me and says something along the lines of "you will do a better job on it than i will", or something along those lines.

So next week, I'm going to try and do him proud and make a bowl from it using my adze, and if the grain patterns he showed me in the Kuksa he made from a similar, but smaller burl are anything to go by, it should, fingers crossed, be a stunner, the burl is pictured above with a Hugo Little Whittler on it for scale.

Keep you all updated on it's progress in this thread.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Tis true, a great piece of wood needs to be handled by better people than cack handed buffoons like me. That's why I didn't grab a bit. But one day I'll get there and do a piece of wood like that justice, not end up with something that resembles orange peel.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I was going to try really hard this time and get something resembling Pomegranite peel:) or if im really lucky, i could get a tooled Fig like finish on it:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That sounds like it will look amazing. Fruit really is your speciality. Myself, I'm perfecting the pineapple look, but still only able to get chips so far

some times whenit goes wrong i end up with a right lemon;)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That's a good size and nice looking burl you got there, cant wait to see your handy work, and I'm sure you'll do Hugo proud ^^
yours sincerely Ruud

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
At last, ive had a bit of spare time, so i made a start on hollowing out the Birch Burl Bowl.

To start off with i adzed out the interior of the bowl

DSCN4618.jpg

then once it had been taken down to a reasonable thickness, out with the crook knife to take the sides down a little further

DSCN4632.jpg

DSCN4635.jpg

DSCN4638.jpg

DSCN4640.jpg

The walls are about 3/4" thick at present, im going to let the bowl dry a bit now, before i tale the wall thickness down any further of work the exterior of the burl.

The black line you can see in some of the pics, is a reminder to myself not to remove any more wood from above this line, bar the rim, as it's getting a little thin in places.

More to follow as and when it happens.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
well people, it's taken a while, but having a spare day or two this week, i thought id better get the bowl finished off, results as per the below pics, 10p piece for scale.

DSCN6121.jpg

DSCN6122.jpg

DSCN6131.jpg

DSCN6133.jpg

DSCN6129.jpg

Still got some work to do on it, as there are a couple of things on it im not entirely happy with, ive left some of the inner bark on for effect, not sure if i like it or not.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like it a lot, nice shape and also the swirls from the grain, when it is fully dry the colour will change in places I found.
Thanks to PeterT for the wood supply that week at Broadstone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE