Bio ethanol/ methanol heater

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Fuels burn when they react with oxygen in the air. The hydrogen in hydrocarbons is oxidised to water (remember that water, H[SUB]2[/SUB]O, is an
oxide of hydrogen). If there is plenty of air, we get complete combustion and the carbon in hydrocarbons is oxidised to carbon dioxide:

hydrocarbon + oxygen → water + carbon dioxide

Ethanol is CH[SUB]3[/SUB]CH[SUB]2[/SUB]OH, often abbreviated as C[SUB]2[/SUB]H[SUB]6[/SUB]O

Source for the above: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa/crudeoil/hydrocarbonsrev1.shtml (always best to link source material)

Blimey, its like being back in the 70's on an Open University course.

Last edited:

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Rik, i appreciate your help mate ( and everyone elses ) i only ask because i dont know. I dont have an appliance as yet, i'm trying to decide which one to get and be safe about it. I was hoping to learn from the experience of you guys which is part of what this forums about............isnt it.........or is one not supposed to ask advice? Ged?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Rik, i appreciate your help mate ( and everyone elses ) i only ask because i dont know. I dont have an appliance as yet, i'm trying to decide which one to get and be safe about it. I was hoping to learn from the experience of you guys which is part of what this forums about............isnt it.........or is one not supposed to ask advice? Ged?

I'm not sure what you mean about not being supposed to ask for advice, you asked for some and you received some. Yes, surely this forum lets us all exchange ideas, views, anecdotes and whatnot, but like any other medium where the contributors are from vastly different backgrounds and largely anonymous you need to exercise some caution. It's no good telling the fire brigade that 'Ged said it would be OK' when they're busy hosing down your neighbours' houses. When we're discussing heating appliances manufactured for sale to the public there can be no substitute for the manufacturer's published recommendations. To accept that advice does not require that you know my qualifications, nor anything about me, only that you accept what the manufacturer tells you. If you ignore their advice you do so at your own risk, and hopefully only your own risk.

If you're thinking of getting your first stove and want to know something about fuels and the things that burn them before making a decision, well that wasn't clear from the question you asked so the advice didn't explore those avenues. I interpreted your post as asking for help with using, in a stove that you already had, a fuel which it was not designed to burn. My response was (some might say predictably) uncompromising, as people have been known to kill and injure themselves -- and others -- in just that way.

There are literally dozens of threads here on BCUK that you might read for more information about stoves and fuels. Try using your favourite search engine, for example like this:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=stove+fuel+site:bushcraftuk.com

Then there's a whole sub-culture making its own stoves. Makes my hair stand on end, what's left of it. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Andy, you been glugging on the pre lunch white lightening cider again? see post 13;)

Ged......calm down dear.

Hmm - well I did have a sip of some rather "interesting" green liqueur we picked up from the top of the Grand St Bernard Pass back in 1996. I think it's matured by now.......................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE