Bio Ethanol Fuel

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Just popped into Go-outdoors to get some more fuel and noticed they are now selling Bio-Ethanol. Now is that a fuel like meths for things like Trangias or can it be used in Petrol stoves as well? it seems to be derived from high yield sugar crops.
Ideas anybody?

Cheers

Baggins

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Panel wipe for Coleman (petrol) lamps and stoves, paraffin for paraffin lamps and stoves, white spirit for cleaning paint brushes not lamps or stoves.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The problem you get with white spirit is variation in quality. Its on sale under many labels and the contents vary too much to rely on it. Some may work in a wick lamp, other blends will throw out soot and crap so really its just not worth the bother messing with when cleaner fuel is readily available. I used to try all sorts of different fuels when I was 'into' stoves and lamps but gave up with white spirit. I did find out that Wilkinson BBQ lighter fluid and the Flamefast BBQ fluid sold at B&M is paraffin and burns well in stoves or lanterns. I also found out that 'pure' lamp oil is great in wick lamps but clogs up Tilley/Vapalux lamps. I found alcohol gel left a residue which clogs up the burner holes in Trangia burners and whilst easy enough to clean out with a paper clip I stopped using that... not worth the faff.

Clean fuel = lamps and stoves that work well :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Just a small point on mixing fuels. I did some tests on my Alcohol stoves to see if adding Naptha would increase efficiency. The ratio I tested was 90% Meths with 10% lighter petrol.
The outcome was that this mix did decrease the boil times on all stoves tested by quite a bit! I was worried about any extra sooting of the pots used but this wasn't an issue.

Now I would never recommend using neat Petrol in a stove designed for Alcohol but my very modest tests have shown me if fast boil times are important then this fuel mix is better than Alcohol alone. Whether the faff of mixing it and the extra handling issues if there are any is worth the time saved due to a hotter flame will be up to the individual?

I did some vids on the tube on this subject, I think I called it my P10 super fuel or something if your interested?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE