Binoculars: 8x or 10x?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Good result - you can tie yourself up in knots trying to find the "sweet spot" on the cost vs performance vs size/weight index and as they say, the best binos, camera, knife etc. are the ones you have got with you when you need them.

Would definitely be interested in the utube review. :)

True... they are compromise but i knew that before i bought them :)

I'll sort the vid out.. and post the link up.

B.G

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For equipment reviews, I suggest the "Best of the Best" gear awards in FieldandStream.com. Pick the year, the gear and see what works.
For variety, I suggest B&H Photo, an optics house in New York, They show 1,356 different binoculars and 318 different spotting scopes to look at.

To go "game-spotting" here in the summer, we have to be out and set up about 90 minutes before sunset.
Seems we see the most just as the light drops to"really gloomy." I think big lenses are a help.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
RV... My user review will be me just rambling on about the bino's. It won't be a full in depth review like a store would give trying to sell you a pair.

Just my initial thoughts and the uses i bought them for. :)

B.G

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's OK. I've used F&S and also B&H to scope out what's in the marketplace.
I can't find the variety with my own hand so those guys fill in the field.

Bought my Brunton compass on the strength of #1 from F&S.
Bought my Nikon 82mm Prostaff scope from B&H as it appeared the best for my budget.

B&H has lots of numbers for comparison, I liked that part.
I seem to live in a world of bad light when game is on the move.

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
I've got a set of these: http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Bushnell12x42AW-37.htm

Not bad at all for the money. I don't find the 12x magnification to be a handicap.

I'm planning on upgrading slightly soon though, and am considering Vortex Diamondback 10x42 as my next set. They'r about £200 or so.

If you're into gadgets, ATN have a digital day/night set that look quite interesting for about £450. Mixed reviews though.

What's your budget Antonymouse?

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
The last time I went to a bootsale I found two binoculars (At two different bootsales!), Both are 7x50, One is Tasco make, t'uther is Dowling & Rowe, The D&R are auto focus, Tasco's are manual focus, Both are rubber armoured!.

The AF ones when I paid, The lad asked how to focus them as there's no adjustor!! :biggrin::biggrin:

ubyq2ee.jpg

PpB3j7w.jpg

Qzd3eK3.jpg

I was happy at £5 each!!

John :)

Reactions: GuestD

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
The last time I went to a bootsale I found two binoculars (At two different bootsales!), Both are 7x50, One is Tasco make, t'uther is Dowling & Rowe, The D&R are auto focus, Tasco's are manual focus, Both are rubber armoured!.

The AF ones when I paid, The lad asked how to focus them as there's no adjustor!! :biggrin::biggrin:

ubyq2ee.jpg

PpB3j7w.jpg

Qzd3eK3.jpg

I was happy at £5 each!!

Bargain.
What are the auto focus one a like please ?

Reactions: johnbaz

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Bargain.
What are the auto focus one a like please ?

Hi Deekin

I struggle a bit with AF bins as my eyes aren't perfect, The slight difference from one eye to the other makes it a bit hard to focus through them!

These are actually not as bad as others that i've had through the years, I had one set that I couldn't see through at all, They were called Simon I think, A sister brand to Bushnell, I asked my lad if he could see through them, He said they were perfect so they went home with him!

My mum inlaw has an old set of Focus free ones that I gave her years ago as she could see through them ok, I could too back then!!

The D&R are very nice and bright though, After a couple of seconds my eyes seem to adjust to them fine :happy:

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Hi Deekin

I struggle a bit with AF bins as my eyes aren't perfect, The slight difference from one eye to the other makes it a bit hard to focus through them!

These are actually not as bad as others that i've had through the years, I had one set that I couldn't see through at all, They were called Simon I think, A sister brand to Bushnell, I asked my lad if he could see through them, He said they were perfect so they went home with him!

My mum inlaw has an old set of Focus free ones that I gave her years ago as she could see through them ok, I could too back then!!

The D&R are very nice and bright though, After a couple of seconds my eyes seem to adjust to them fine :happy:

Thanks. I've seen Russian military auto focus for sale and often thought about a pair, never occurred to me about the difference in my own eyes though. Best to try first I think.:emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: johnbaz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE