Binoculars: 8x or 10x?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Somellier

Jan 17, 2017
Peak District
I think Leica and Zeiss are considered better than Swarovski?

Also, we can not generalize that a certain objective gives a certain width of view.
The length of the light passage is very important there, so the only way to know it is to check the manufacturers specs, or compare side to side.

No way is anything better than Swarovski. I had many years in the optical trade and I've tried them all!!!

Somellier

Jan 17, 2017
Peak District
Thank's for the heads up mate.. i'm not that clued on what to look for when choosing a decent pair of bino's. But the next pair i buy will be a reputable branded make.

I'm gonna pop along to my local RSPB Reserve for some sound advice and hopefully test few pairs out.

I'm just after a reasonable priced pair for general wildlife spotting in day light.

You will pay over the odds at an RSPB reserve. Find an optics shop and go there instead!

Somellier

Jan 17, 2017
Peak District
The light gathering is the same as for any camera, related to the area of the front lens element.
So each analog f-stop is a factor of twice (or 1/2) the light.
Since the formula uses the square of the radius, 42 is about 50% bigger than 32.
So 36mm (1017.9 mm^2) and 40mm (1256 mm^2) are approx 20% apart.

Fujinon makes a 14 x 50 binoc. with Image Stabilization, sure has got my attention (see B&H for details.)
Fujinon has been making large format camera lenses of excellent resolution (@ f/22) for decades.

I use a surveyor's tripod with spike feet and a quick release head for my Nikon 82 scope.
While the mag range is 20X - 60X, in practice in the mountains, 40X really is the working max.

It's not as simple as that. My 8x32 Swarovskis have a brighter image than most 8x42s on the market. The coatings, quality of lenses and prisms all make a difference to the brightness of the image!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
It's not as simple as that. My 8x32 Swarovskis have a brighter image than most 8x42s on the market. The coatings, quality of lenses and prisms all make a difference to the brightness of the image!
That's why at post #13 I advised the op to purchase a pair of Leica 8X42 Noctovids!

K

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Janne, I disagree. My Nikon spotting scope is wonderful but it has it's own spotting scope on the side!
The magnification makes it really hard to go from eyeball to 20X and stay on line.
Look at the mountain side. Look through the little spotter. Then look at 20X.

Part of it is experience. We can go "game spotting" and I don't need binocs to see mountain sheep 5 miles away.
White dots in the wrong places. They move.
The Nikon Prostaff 82mm Spotting scope is a heavy pig. Massive tripod for enjoyable stability.

All these forum members that buy 8x42 or 10x42 will have a good time.
For me, there isn't a damn thing within 7,000 yards to look at.

I bought a pair of Vortex Diamondback 8x42 last week for stalking only £199 .

Was very impressed Saturday evening for low light spotting right into full dark
My buddy tried them and was surprised they performed just as well as his £600 ziess 8x42 and where smaller and lighter
Another mate round today is now considering selling his swaros and getting a couple pair of Vortex

I certainly didn't feel id lost out viewing time die to lack of quality bins

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
40X is OK with the 82mm front element, gets quite gloomy at 60X. Plenty bright here with white snow reflection.
But, even anchored into the dirt on the surveyor's tripod, you can't touch it and stay on target.
The silly looking little side tube scope is absolutely worth it.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Maybe have a walk round a carboot??

I have around thirty sets on bins that cost between £3 and £20!!!!

My best find was a set of Nikon Monarch 8x42, They are fantasic for clarity and light!!

3msDgfo.jpg

The Nikons..

dTwx6FZ.jpg

51X4q0h.jpg

The Russian Komz are fab quality too, I've three sets and haven't paid more than a tenner a set!!

w967zlZ.jpg

I've never found a set of Swift bins to be lacking either- I've quite a few and they're all smashing!!

NWVgASl.jpg

And of course the little Jena 8x40 are remakable and hang around the neck nicely!!

1hrak1H.jpg

I've bought a few bins off ebay too but have been disappointed when they've arrived, Bad collimation and mouldy lenses that you just don't know about as you can't try them first :(

Good luck with your quest!!

John :)

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Nice work John. Those Monarchs are an absolute bargain!

I've just ordered a pair of Viking Vistron 8x42 having compared them with others at my local RSPB reserve. Would have bought them from the reserve were it not the fact the fact that amazon sell them for £70 cheaper!!

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Well after doing my research and testing a few pairs out.. i decided i wanted another compact pair like my el cheapo one's but a better quality made pair.

I've bought a pair of Steiner Safari Ultrasharp 10x26 Bino's of ebay bnib for less than half the retail price.. hopefully should receive them 2morro.

They are small and light enough to fit in a pocket or on my belt.. and be used for general wildlife spotting/site seeing when out an about.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Well done you!
You did the right thing - try them out and then make an informed purchase. That's the way to do it.
I use my 25s in a similar situation - if I'm out for a walk or something like that, they can go on a belt comfortably and I have them to had if something comes along. They're maybe not the best size for 'dedicated spotting' (though on a clear sunny day they will do you fine!), but for 'opportunity spotting' they will give you sterling service!

Let us know how you get on with them.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Well after having had a good play with my new Steiner Bino's over the weekend.. i'm very happy with them considering they're from the budget end of the Steiner range.

Nice and clear optics when viewing close range to long range in varying lighting conditions.. should be ideal for the purposes i bought them for.

If folks are interested i'll stick a link up here to my youtube channel with a quick review and my thoughts about them.

B.G

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
They are small and light enough to fit in a pocket or on my belt.. and be used for general wildlife spotting/site seeing when out an about.

Good result - you can tie yourself up in knots trying to find the "sweet spot" on the cost vs performance vs size/weight index and as they say, the best binos, camera, knife etc. are the ones you have got with you when you need them.

Would definitely be interested in the utube review. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE