Bimble, hobo, fungus, lichen & hot choccy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

carnegos

Nov 18, 2009
Kernow
www.rafdavidstowmoor.org
Went for a bimble today to try out my new dog food tin hobo stove that I made yesterday. Found a lovely spot ...
Dscf0007.jpg

... and here's my kit for the day ...
Dscf0016.jpg

... laid out ready for use ...
Dscf0010.jpg

... ready for my Tatonka Toy ...
Dscf0011.jpg

... with my Tatonka Toy ...
Dscf0013.jpg

... and set up on the Tatonka stand for use on grassy areas ...
Dscf0015.jpg

... removed the meths burner and lit a fire to boil 0.25l of water. I used some dried bracken leaves, then dried bracken sticks and finally some nearly dry twigs ...
Dscf0018.jpg

... 20 minutes later and I'm ready to drink one of the best cups of hot choccy I've ever had ...
Dscf0020.jpg

Now I know that my meths burner will boil twice the amount of water in half the time but the wood was free and I thoroughly enjoyed breaking up the little twigs and feeding the stove.

Next to me was a broken tree ...
Dscf0005.jpg

... which had the following bracket fungus on ...
Dscf0009.jpg

... and here's a couple of close ups ...
Dscf0003.jpg
Dscf0004.jpg

... is this horse hoof fungus that I can use to make amadou from? The tree had a lovely papery peely bark so I'm assuming it was a birch.

Here it is growing on what is left of the tree ...
Dscf0001.jpg

... and lastly does anybody know what this stuff is called?
Dscf0022.jpg

I know it as 'Old Mans Beard' but I don't think that is what other people call it. I know when dried it is an excellent fire starter as I have used it before.

All in all a lovely day out and have learned several valuable lessons:

1. Don't ever put your firesteel down amongst the leaf litter (it took me a whole five minutes to find the bloomin' thing again).

2. I need to learn to light a fire using the aforesaid firesteel because outside I couldn't do it.

3. Always carry a First Aid Kit as dog food tins can be very sharp! (I was still bleeding 2 hours later).

4. I need to spend more time learning to identify trees.

5. Primrose flowers taste delicious :)

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Great post, looks like a lovely spot. Everything tastes better cooked on a fire and eaten outdoors :D

Looks like a Birch tree to me.

Tom

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
The fungi growing on the birch is birch polypore or razor strop fungus:) You can make a crude plaster out of it as well just in case you cut your self on a dog food tin;)

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Nice pics.

I find it a nice part of being out when you make a brew with real fire,even if it's in a stove.

It's a Birch polypore on the Birch.

carnegos

Nov 18, 2009
Kernow
www.rafdavidstowmoor.org
Thank you everyone.

ocean1975 if I'd have known that I could have made a plaster out of it today and saved myself some mess, ne'ermind I shall store that away in my head for next time.

Been slicing it up this evening and it's very interesting. There's the top part which I guess is used as a strop and at the bottom (about 8mm thick) are what must be the pores but in between is a really stretchy foamy part. The lower part (pores) is useless as a plaster as it just breaks up when bent but the foamy middle part looks as though it might be of use.

I did a bit of research on this forum and elsewhere and found that despite being a 'false tinder fungus' apparently you can use it to create an ember. Otzi the Iceman who was found in the Alps in 1991 was carrying some powdered birch polymore which he had used as tinder.

Time to dry some out and have a go methinks.

e2a: Just read that Otzi may have been carrying it for medicinal reasons.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE