Billy Cleaning Etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gentlemanc

Aug 24, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
Unfortunately i have not been out in the woods for a while back then a trangia was abused with a brillo pad, the ones with the soap impregnated in them! Since then i have been slowly gathering some quality bits of kit such as my stainless zebra billy and also a optimus cook set. I have a trip due in the not to distant future and am looking forward to field testing my gear but I wondered what other did to clean their cook sets in the field?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Once my food is made, boil up some water in it and give it a quick swill out. Then wash it properly at home.

Pretty much the same, except I tend to boil and swill then boil and brew. Pan(s) are dried on an aggressive heat source before being stowed ~ sooted nesting pans are in separately bagged before being packed together.

For those who use tea* bags and haven't already discovered it, a used bag makes a half way decent pan wipe ;) (But remember, tea bags aren't easily degradable ~ after using split and empty the bag, carry out or burn the paper).

* or coffee

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Can anyone recommend a place to get a good bag for a 14cm zebra billie? My sewing is shocking a leather one would be awesome?

Have a word with Hamish "Half Goat" of this parish, I'm sure he'll do you a lovely "billy bag".. As for cleaning I use a bit of hot water and if it's really dirty bung some wood ash in. This scours the pan, then a quick swill and you're done.

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
One of the normal household sponges you use for washing up at home plus an empty hand sanitiser bottle filled with fairy liquid takes up no space at all.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Have a word with Hamish "Half Goat" of this parish, I'm sure he'll do you a lovely "billy bag".. As for cleaning I use a bit of hot water and if it's really dirty bung some wood ash in. This scours the pan, then a quick swill and you're done.

Add a bit of fat to the ash (don't need to if you've been frying sausages or bacon etc..) and you've got lye soap!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use warm water, a plastic sponge/scourer and a tiny drop of fairy liquid, I don't like faffing about after a meal and hate greasy/messy pans.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I normally use a drop of water, swill it about, sometimes add a drop of washing up liquid, just depends on the amount of water i have, then wash it propley when I get home..

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
it all depends on how much water i have, if im near a stream or puddle then i use the water and some of the mud/sand or gravel to give it a good scrub then rinse off, or if i have only what im carrying i use grass and soil, lift up a section of turf and scrub the bottom with the gravel/mud replace the turf then use it to clean off the grid and bits, its amazing how much water is in the grass, even in summer from just over night, it works a treat...:) quick dry over the fire and brush of, jobs a gooden..

or you can put a thin layer of washing up liquid over your mess tin before you use it, when you come to wash it the soot and mess will mostly come straight off, unless its on the fire or stove for a long time.

hope this helps.

chris.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Normal kitchen sponge, that I wet and fill with diswashing liquid at home, and put in a ziplock bag.
heat water in the kettle rinse and clean with sponge, rince and put away. If there is running water,
I just use some sand from the bottom to scour it with.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Normally after cooking, during the day at any continent water spot or at the next camp, I’ll just scrub the pot clean with a grass sourer with some sand or mud, then once its clean and rinsed out Ill then put about a inch of water in the bottom of the pan, put it back on the stove or back over the fire to boil for a minute to sterilise it then ether chuck the water out or have a cup of tea, a quick dry of the billy over the fire then put the trangia cooker, salts and peppers and stalk cubes back in the Billycan, I don’t bother with the black outside any more just keep it in a polly bag for transporting in my pack.

Add a bit of fat to the ash (don't need to if you've been frying sausages or bacon etc..) and you've got lye soap!
I like Andy's BB idea of lye sope as I never use soap near fresh water, bad for the fish, but a good trick to catch and kill them if push came to shove. Burning and powdering seashells also works to deoxygenate the water.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sphagnum moss cleans most of the crud out, if there's no moss about I just use my finger and a bit of warm water.

I don't clean the outside of my pots much unless they get really thick in soot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE