billy can set - help?

B

Bushcrafter2011

hey guys im thinking of a new prodject and though of doing a simple 3 or 5 piece billy can set, could people give me hints tips and tutorials cheers,

BC:)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
How do you mean?Making one from scratch or from cans you buy?Alot of folk on here made a set using stainless steel tea, coffee, and sugar pots.Sometimes you can get lucky and they all nest inside each other.Those big houseware shops like Wilko's sell them.Or car boot sales...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Turning coffee cans into billies is covered in my book :)
See Makers Market...
If you are coming to the RC meet I will even have some cans with me for trade or sale (not worth posting due to postal charges) and can bring some of my books if you like...

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
If its for your own use then you really don't need that much, I use army mess tins with improvised lids a crusader cup and a small home made billy from a ss coffee / tea canister very simple to make.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
This is something I'd often thought about but never actually got around to doing anything about. Up to press the thread had been a bit disappointing; there must be a way to acquire a serviceable cookset that doesn't involve chucking tenners at the problem. I had a few ideas but didn't want to commit them to the thread until I'd had chance to try them out.

Anyone who's ever had a Fray Bentos tinned pie or pudding for tea will have looked at the empty tins and thought how they could be pressed into service as ersatz tableware. As it happens they're no good at all for plates & bowls because when they're full of hot food you can't touch 'em. The pie tin does, however, make a cracking little frypan.

Over the past few weeks I've put together this little cook kit. With the exception of the tools everything was originally intended for something else. And it's all, more or less, free. Notwithstanding the military, how many messkits come with free food?

GCK2.jpg

Clockwise from the top;

Bucket. I nearly always carry a bucket of some description - they're just so useful around camp, weigh next to nothing and take up about the same amount of packspace. This one cost £12 but came with a free gallon of Aspen 4T.

Fuel Bottle. Started life as a plant-food bottle. It has a little doo-hickey inside so you can't pour out more than the capacity of the small upper chamber (25ml or about 1 fl.oz. - a handy amount.)

Bowl. Ex-Christmas pudding basin.

This Deep Plate was formerly the bottom of a 5L washing-up liquid container.

Chopping Board. The upper side of the deep plate.

Pot Cosy. A strip of old sleepmat and a couple of discs of same to suit. Wrapped up with a coupla rubber bands

Mug. Pot Noodle cup. Idea shamelessly copied from 'Spiritburner'.

Cooking Pot. This 300g tuna can holds about enough to fill the mug, which is also enough to do a packet of noods or a portion of rice etc. This is the largest seamless (no solder to worry about) can I've found but on the lookout for bigger.

Pot Lid. The lid from a home-canning can - the only part that was actually new but it was such a good fit on the tuna can that I had to utilise it.

Frying Pan. As mentioned earlier; previously accomodated a pie.

I also made a little alcohol stove from an 80g tuna can. New ground for me, this. The thinking was that once it was lit flames would come out of the top holes and air would be sucked in thru' the lower ones. It seemed to work, more or less, and as luck would have it a 25ml measure of fuel just came up to the lower holes and burned long enough to boil the little pot full of water.

GCKbnr.jpg

GCKbnrlit.jpg

The kit was complete with the addition of a few utensils; a nondescript panlifter from some set or other, an Opinel 'butter' knife & a modifed spork (melted the tines in a frying pan so converted that end to a spatula of sorts)

GCKtools.jpg

All in all it proved itself to be a useful little kit and I used it throughout the weekend at Middlewood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE