Big spoon, tooled or sanded?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Make sure you post a pic when you've sanded it then, so we call all make helpful and supportive comments like "Should have gone for the tooled finish, mate"

:D

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
What is clearly needed here is for somebody to produce a double sided spoon from the one billet; one side sanded the other side tooled.

Ladies and Gentlemen; start your spoon knives!

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
If it is sanded it should be smooth as glass! No half sanded stuff, either you sand and polish the wood so it shines or you make a tooled finish which could also shine.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Reckon you've answered your own question in yer first post Mike...

Go with what the wood is telling you......;)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
We probably should distinguish between a smooth finish (which can be achieved through sanding, or by skilled tooling) and a textured finish like the one in the initial picture. A tooled finish is usually, but not always, textured.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
I like both finishes, depending on the wood, the item it is on, the end use of the item and my mood.
I was once showing of a very smooth boxwood spoon and was asked if it was plastic!
You do not get that kind of comment with a tooled finish!
I have also been asked when I plan to finish a spoon that was a tooled finish....

I have also had this happen with the Birch Spork I made.

I use a sanded finish on my carvings but I do adore a tooled finish.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preferance.

Nice spoon by the way.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
We probably should distinguish between a smooth finish (which can be achieved through sanding, or by skilled tooling) and a textured finish like the one in the initial picture. A tooled finish is usually, but not always, textured.

Good point. To take it full circle has anybody tried sanding tool marks into a spoon :)

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
I like it when they use a Ball Pein to make it really obvious. I have though seen 'hammer marks' that turned out to have been made by a carefully set up milling machine.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
tyhe9aze.jpg

So I went for sanded....

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think you made the right call, mountainm, they both look really good................the sanding really does bring the grain to the eye very sweetly. I'd be extremely pleased to have made those........atb mac

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Looks good, right decision I think - and it may be the light but I like the bowl profile, looks like it has a flat bottom and steep sides? That would have been difficult to cut smoothly with a blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE