BIG fungus !!

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Came across these "growths" today.

Any body have an idea what they are and much more to the point, can they be dried to act as tinder. The wood does have a supply of the round black fungus which I have used as tinder with a fire steel but these are just so much Bigger! There is a £2 coin in one photo as scale

fungus3.jpg

fungus2.jpg

fungus1.jpg

Thanks in advance

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They look like Dryad's Saddle to me but don't take my word for it.

Edible I believe but not sure about using as a tinder

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Did you get a pic of the bottom? was intrigued so had a quick flick through the book. so far it's looking like Dryad's Saddle, which is a polypore. Would look like honey comb, not gills, on the bottom. Right time of year, right habitat, and causes white rot, which might be what I can see in the first and last pics. And the pics are identical. If it is, they're edible, worth further investigation I reckon! :)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Thanks so much. Having got a point to start I did a bit of goggle myself and with what little I know I would agree its Polyporus squamosus. Does not seem to be good eating at that size and no mention of tinder. Still might dry it slowly and give it a go. Nothing ventured as they say.

Again Thanks Gents

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Yep, Dryad's Saddles. I have eaten and enjoyed them, but you have to catch them very young indeed. Old specimens are tough, rubbery & unbelieveably difficult to cut. I don't know of any uses for tinder etc.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ahh, interesting indeed as there are a couple of huge dinner plate sized specimens near me. I'd have thought they were good as is but didn't think of them getting hard with maturity. I'll keep an eye out for younger specimens. For what it's worth, they're growing on an ash stump, about a foot off the ground.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
I do know a fellow forager who's experimenting with cutting up older ones then drying and grinding them for use as a seasoning/stock ingredient. I'm not sure the flavour is good enough to make them worth all that hard graft myself but I'm watching to see how she gets on with much interest.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
When i have found them in the past they look like they would taste like an old saddle....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE