Big cat paw print identification in Fife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Fiddleback said:
In the article is says not to worry about the presence of these cats because if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. I think that point is debatable. In my experience it only holds true for large men or groups. Women or children alone by themselves, or an injured person would certainly draw the attention of these "big cats." Unless of course its only a bobcat or lynx. A cougar, jaguar, or leopard would certainly attack a person if it thought it was an easy kill. What do you guys think?

My first post by the way. Seems like a great place.

Interesting, but the specific question was what happens to the big cats remains when they die and why are so few remains found by trackers like RA?

Welcome to BCUK BTW Fiddleback :)

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Do you know what chaps, we get phone every week, with out fail, with regards to big cats. We are no experts on big cats at all but we do sell a piece of kit that the big cats guys adore.

Had a call this week from a lady who has seen leopards in Wales :27: and as stange as this may seem we have the a chap come into the office this afternoon who is the Dorset recorder for sightings down here.

Here is a great link to a great site http://www.britishbigcats.org/

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
What do you recon on this then? ;)

costarica062.jpg
[/IMG]

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Left rear something or other. Not sure the size of the opi, never held one, but the conformation of the track, as compared to my manx, is about the same. If the knife is 4" or so, it's a smaller track than my manx will leave. Maybe rounder toes on the pictured track, though the claws are visible to a degree.

Like the man said, what the heck do I know. :D

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Fiddleback said:
In the article is says not to worry about the presence of these cats because if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. I think that point is debatable. In my experience it only holds true for large men or groups. Women or children alone by themselves, or an injured person would certainly draw the attention of these "big cats." Unless of course its only a bobcat or lynx. A cougar, jaguar, or leopard would certainly attack a person if it thought it was an easy kill. What do you guys think?

My first post by the way. Seems like a great place.

I'm not even too sure about lynx. The largest one I ever saw was 8 foot from tip of nose to end of tail (trapped). In spite of what I read on the web about their size - they can get mighty big.

PG

BOD

Marts said:
Interesting, but the specific question was what happens to the big cats remains when they die and why are so few remains found by trackers like RA?

Welcome to BCUK BTW Fiddleback :)

Big cats are predators. If they die it is through illness or wounds so, as someone said, they return to their den or a secluded place unlike prey which die more or less on the spot.

People walk mainly on or near trails the last place which a wounded animal would choose to be near so the chances of finding an intact skeleton are low.

So its the scavengers that get to them and the remains rapidly get dispersed and tend to move toward lower ground as they are worried and soon get grown over as they decompose. Can you recall how long it took to find the remains of the English backpacker who was probably taken down by dingoes on Fraser island? That was a co-ordinated search effort.

How many of us can identify a bone other than a skull let alone the animal it came from? I was recently talking with a 70 year old Iban blacksmith about an unidentified partial skeleton found in the forest and he got the parts all mixed up when trying to reassemble them and he has spent nearly his entire life in that area so waht chance does an ordinary person?

Still I hope there are big cats in Britain. There's nothing like the feeling that a top predator is around somewhere

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
British Red said:
Not knocking these articles, but how come no-one ever recovers a body or skeleton from one of these big cats? :confused:

They've been around for decades now, supposedly from Bodmin to Yorkshire. I know big cats are solitary, but I'm amazed that I have never seen an article on a body being recovered, a skull found etc. Is there a "big cat graveyard" soemwhere? :confused:

I have to agree.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Looks like a big cat print perhaps an Ocelot, depends where you were when you took the photo.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Paganwolf said:
What do you recon on this then? ;)

I know very little about track identification but looking at the track in that picture, it doesn’t take much imagination to realize that you could make a track exactly like that using your fingers if you were so inclined.

Especially when you look at how deep the recesses are between the pads, how defined the walls of the print are and who would know the difference between a real cat print and a good fake except for an experienced expert?

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Exactly right Stuart. Tracks are easily forged and any track as clear and perfect as the one pictured makes me a bit suspect. It's just darned difficult to tell by looking at just one track in a photo.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
ok to put it another way, I appreciate the difference between a print from a book and a print on the ground (in general but also...) having spent a few days this past year in Zoos looking at tracks of animals not familiar to our fair isle.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Stuart said:
I know very little about track identification but looking at the track in that picture, it doesn’t take much imagination to realize that you could make a track exactly like that using your fingers if you were so inclined.

Especially when you look at how deep the recesses are between the pads, how defined the walls of the print are and who would know the difference between a real cat print and a good fake except for an experienced expert?

Good point Stuart.
Are you just pulling legs here PW?

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Stuart :27: im surprised at you for thinking foul play is afoot tut tut ;) it was on a jungle path with a Pecary pass going across it, perfect jungle highway with a perfect track trap :rolleyes: and Scotty your spot on! LOL ive just got back from Costa Rica, go on some one told ya didnt they :rolleyes: BAM!! :lmao: Oh Scott have you used that charcloth maker that Martin made you? anyway remind me to give you a Cigar when i see you :D ;)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
:lmao: Nah I think those tracking boots I won must be rubbing off on me ;)

P.S I never got that charcloth maker!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE