Best way to remove these dings?

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I need a little help with this.

Doing a recent clearout of my old room at my parents and came across an old tanto style sword/dagger.

My dad bought it from an antiques shop some 12 years ago and it has been left stored in a box ever since.

The blade as some dings in it * i cant remeber if i did them * and I was after some opinion if they can be removed and if so how to do this and finish the edge again.

Pictures below shows what I mean:

photo4-8.jpg

photo32.jpg

Any help will be aprreciated

Dan

udamiano

On a new journey
any chance of seeing the whole item please.
and also a close-up of the edge

If it is a real (not reproduction) then it will need to be done very carefully, with the dinks being polished out. If it is also a genuine tango/wakisashi then i might have a makers mark on the tang.

Again If its a real period piece and not a 19/20th century reproduction I can help getting it restored for you.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I have been reliably informed that this is a reproduction by someone who collects japanese swords and memorabilia.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Not a straightforward job IMO unless your sharpening skills are better than mine!
Looks like the blade needs reprofiling along the whole edge as the dings are quite deep, if you decide not to DIY i would send it to Longstrider of this parish.

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
To be honest i'm thinking about just selling it to someone who has the time and skills to be able to tackle the job

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I have a wakizashi in similar state of distress.Pretty sure it is tourist tat but the tsuba is quite nice so I may keep it.
The bonus (NOT) is that some jellyhead has taken a grinder of some sort to mine so it is infinitely more horrible even
than danny's.
I won't post pics : they would be too distressing for lovers of nice blades.
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE