best way to harvest haws??

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
hi all.. I was out last weekend collecting Hawthorn Berries.. and it took me hours to get a small bag of them.. ( and I mean small) what methods do you all use?? I was just standing there and picking them off.. putting them into the bag.. there has to be a better way..

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I suppose the best way would be to take a large sheet and place it below the hawthorn and beat hell out of the bush with a stout staff. The falling haws will collect on the sheet and you can just pour them into a bag with a bit of care.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I use an old fashioned wicker basket with a handle . I hook the handle over the bow, so that the basket is balanced on the the bush. I then place my hands through the handle and comb out the haws, that fall straight in to the basket. Does that make any sense or do I need to draw a diagram?

Personally I find this method faster than any other. I can fill a standard shopper in less than ten minutes.

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
I understand both methods thanks.. will have a look out for a basket or simmilar.. the sheet idea won't work here, as the grass is too long and the hawthorn is growing on a steep hill.. :(

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've been looking up into the trees in my woods, but all of my hawthorns are well over 20 feet high and I can't reach the berries :(

Last year I harvest loads, but then I was cutting the trees down so the berries were much easier to reach :D

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
Thanks For that Bushwhacker..:You_Rock_ I'm going to give that a try :) is there a good technique for using it? or just shove it up and pull it toward you to release the berries ?

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but my experience last year was that the resulting fruit leather was so foul that the conclusion this year is to leave 'em on the bush for the birdies. Yeuch!

But don't let me put you off :)

Rat

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
I've already collected some haws.. and made two lots of leather.. the first was just the haw.. and it was ok.. the second I added some Dried Sorrel.. and WOW what a diffrence.. so now I'm going to make some more.. and have got a book with a recipie for Haw sauce.. so I'm going to need load now :)

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but my experience last year was that the resulting fruit leather was so foul that the conclusion this year is to leave 'em on the bush for the birdies. Yeuch!

But don't let me put you off :)

Rat

Ahh! I thought it was just me - my collection last autumn were pretty foul as well.

Scubbity.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I reckon hawthorn berries are only fit for an occasional munchy when they're a bit mealy tasting. Maybe we get a different variety round here but I have no notion to turn it into leather or jam or a fruity vodka either.

Cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Your best putting them into a pan and heating them down to a jelly, add other fruits and things to sweeten and taste

That is more less what i do with them. I find they help jams set, and make plum jam more intresting. I think they get a bit better when a frost hits them. Haw fruit leather is nasty, and reckon Ray mears was lying when said it was nice. How do you get elderflower and haws in same dish?

I have dyed cloth dull pink with haws. It doesn't require a mordant either.

xylaria
I've often wondered if Ray Mears just said "that's nice" whenever he put food or drink in his mouth.
Then I saw the episode where he had the juice of sea buckthorn and described it as "absolutely foul".

Now I wonder if he does say "that's nice" whenever he can - but that the buckthron overwhelmed his ability to lie and so he said how bad it really was. Haha.

That said - I've gut sea buckthorn noted down as a "just in case I really need to" source of nutrients. Haha.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE