Best Torch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Led Lenser makes very nice torches.

I use the Led Lenser T7 (tacticool version of P7) at work, and it never fails to light up my path.

Superb kit!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a SilverPoint torch I got from torches direct but it seems they have stopped doing them. It's pretty bright but i'm not so keen on the colour of the beam, the main reason I like it is because it was dirt cheap and runs on AAA batteries that you can get anywhere in the world. I have a lovely Inova T3 that is superior in every way but it's almost too nice to use so I take the SilverPoint.

I have recently picked up a Petzl Tika2 - the 2012 one with the white and red LEDs and it's absolutely my new favourite. http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/petzl-tikka-2-plus-2012-head-torch-ac210078?id_colour=122

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
What is best for me is a compact hand size LED, XML or XPG-2 running on 1X18650 cell. Apart from being very bright on high it must have a low setting of 3 lumens or less.
XML-2 will be out soon so brighter and longer cell runtimes to be expected.

Steve.

Binxie

Tenderfoot
I used to love my little LED Lenser. Can't remember what model it is but I've got a bit of a problem with mine as a load of dirt or sand has got in around the switch so its now stuck on and there is no obvious way of getting the switch unit apart to give it a clean without destroying it.

I generally use my cheap Tesco wind-up. Yeah its a pain in the **** and you can hear me coming a mile off but its dependable. I've owned it over four years and its still going strong.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
+1 for the aplkit gamma.

Great little headtorch, loads of different settings powerful enough to light up the darkness or just give you enough light to root around in your pack. I use mine for light in my hammock, a backup light when cycling, fishing or just stumbling around during powercuts at home.

gravelmonkey

Feb 11, 2013
UK
Best is simply whatever suits an individuals budget, cell type, size, output, runtime etc.

My choice is a Zebralight H51c headlamp - Hands-free, nice coloured light! No more blue/grey looking meals! :D

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Hmm tough question, I'm not aware of a torch that will do everything I want.

My current combo is a Zebralight H600 which I use most of the time walking or around camp, if I need some hand held throw I bring along my Solarforce L2P with an XML-U2 drop in.

sunburyboy93

Feb 10, 2013
Sunbury
I bought some nice (budget friendly) led torches:

for my Car and Work Bag: Ultrafire G3 (3 Mode 400 LM) runs on 1 x AA Battery

and for when out and about, this is the best of the Cheaper lights i own:

Ultrafire 502B (5 Mode 1000LM) runs on 1 x 18650 Battery

The ones on Amazon right now have upgraded LED's too....
(really really bright), need to get good branded batteries and Charger too...

Was £10.30 on Amazon but is back up to £15.00 now

[video=youtube;HpJrwG52c_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HpJrwG52c_w#![/video]

Last edited:

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
There is no such thing as a best anything.

I just like to keep practiced at not using a light but it is hard to keep your night vision around a fire and a light is usually necessary for cooking after dark.

I use a Pelican M6 on trips where I need to bring a shotgun as it attaches to the side but typically I do not carry one.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I am not a Jamie but a good multi use torch is a necessity when wild camping after many attempts to develope a do it all system

i think I now have it covered and surprise surprise its all about Fenix although the Thrunite Ti may become my back up

Main system MC10 http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-mc10.html with a Fenix single headband for added utility
You get a lot of versatility with this pairing and the supplied accessories plus the MC10 is waterproof

Back up probably Fenix EO1 or the Thrunite Ti because they are small but may consider another Cree AA so its just one battery type

Got to be honest just received the MC10 so not used at night yet let alone in a real use situation

Maybe I am a Jamie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE