Best thread to sew nylon webbing?

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I think this is in the correct section. If not, would the mods please be so kind as to move it and accept my apologies.

I have a question regarding the best thread to sew nylon webbing? I've got a 58 pattern water bottle and cup and was thinking of making a carrier out of webbing but I'm not sure what's the best thread. It will be hand sewn if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,
Malc.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Polyester sew-all will do the job adequately; cheap as chips and available in the smallest of sewing shops.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Any heavy polyester thread will do nicely, the Guterman upholstery thread mentioned above is excellent. If you're likely to be doing more heavy duty sewing it might be worth buying a reel of sailmaker's thread, I use Koban but there are other good brands out there. They come in different weights, the heavier ones are easier to sew by hand, and they will also go through a normal domestic sewing machine OK.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Thanks for the help everyone. I went to the local Londis and behind the counter on a card was a travel sewing kit with some black thread which seems strong enough for my needs so I'll give it a go when I get some free time. Cheers, Malc.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I used to work for someone who made hang gliders and I did most of the textile stuff. We never used glue on any of the webbing both on the attachment points for the sail and on the harnesses partly because it gets onto the needles and into the works of the sewing machine. If you stitch firmly glue shouldn't be necessary and doesn't add much to the strength. Stitch in a box pattern with an X across the box and that will hold darned near anything. Hand stitching is just as good as machine stitching provided you take a bit of care. If you're hand stitching put a couple of staples into the webbing to hold it in place, they are pretty easy to get back out again when you've finished.

User3326

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2015
UK
For webbing (and general heavy duty stuff) I use a 1mm braided nylon. pre-stretched (wrapped 4-5 times round a smooth bar and pulled, like when you stretch out rope in rope making) its about .7-.8mm. Easily goes through the eye of a canvas needle and is ridiculously strong. Use a backstitch with either a box with a cross in it or a double/triple stitch (depending on what your doing). Best way to cut webbing is with a metal ruler and a fine tipped soldering iron, very neat. You can do it with a pair of scissors and melt the end with a lighter to stop it fraying too, but its not as neat.

This type or braided nylon http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30m-1mm-1...Domain_3&var=550422069906&hash=item3a8f4c4713

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE