Best sized Leuku?

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hello all!

My desire for a Leuku has come back. Now I was looking at a 6 or 7" blade, large enough for bigger tasks, but not as big as my 9" custom knife. (Love it but its a tad big.) I will want it to be able to do standard bushcraft things, feather sticks, batoning, notching ect, but I have a wee neck knife to skin and do finer things.

Anyway does anyone use a 6 or 7" Leuku, how does it perform?

Thanks all!

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
My camping buddy has a 7 and swears by it. Have to admit the handle isn't to my taste I find it a little uncomfortable to use but it's a sturdy well made knife. As you pointed out not suited to finer tasks but if you use a smaller knife for that then not an issue. They take and hold an edge really well and what he does is sharpens the front and back portions of the blade to different angles for different tasks ie razor sharp back and sturdier front end. But then he is a blacksmith and lives and breathes these things so how much difference it makes is questionable

I love my 7 1/4" which was made from a Mora blank so many years ago (15!). Sadly these are no longer produced.

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/leuko.html

No "leuko" spelling criticisms, OK? I changed the spelling time after time but back then my web site host was Yahoo which would go down and then rebuild, getting most stuff, but reverting to my original spelling in stuff, despite incremental backups.

So I got my 3.3mm thick Mora blank (top):
3k.jpg

I consider the leuku to have a very advanced tang. If you look closely at the picture you will notice that the step down from the blade to the tang is actually two step downs. From there the tang which starts out wide tapers gradually to the back. It's a very strong set-up compared to knives which have a 90 degree blade to tang junction where they usually break.
Being in a hurry to get started with an actual knife I drilled some wood, shaped it on a drill press with sanding drums - then since I also wanted to test the notion of using molten metal to fix the tang into the handle, used hard bullet casting alloy. Since I'm still using the knife all these years later, it worked well.
Later I obtained some brass bars and used part of those on some Lauri 3mm blanks. But since I always used the old Mora I traded those knives off, and have never bothered to pretty up the old knife. Since the original plan was to replace the original handle with a pretty one with brass plate strengthening, I never worry about pounding on the back of the handle to chisel the point through stuff.
I used sheaths ready made from Brisa which have plastic liners. I hot waxed the leather outers and with a strengthened belt attachment have never had issues with the one I use. Since the general idea around here is to always have even a belt knife worn at all times in the bush, and in driving off-road, I love the swinging sheath.

So:
1. I love having a big blade which despite being able to hack green stuff and smaller seasoned stuff in log jams - is light.
2. It works well for splitting big stuff. So once I was asked to show what I could split with a 10oz total hatchet. The trick is that if you can make wooden wedges with your tool of choice then anything anyone can bring. the leuku could make the original cut and then make wedges faster than a tiny hatchet for this stuff:
14splittoend.jpg

I shall have to upgrade this stuff. For a while we had a 6 foot diameter plus fallen cedar which I was going to use for pictures until everyone else got there first for kindling wood for winter.

As you can see a lot of wooden wedges made from seasoned wood are needed. Seasoned wood is less compressible than green in most cases. While a leuku is great for splitting and shaping wedges, it doesn't do well compared to impact tools such as axes or cutting tools such as saws - for sectioning such wood. That work wasn't done in a day but an hour before the tide came in so a leuku and saw is a great combination for making wedges. I had to use a saw with the tiny hatchet to baton wedges to keep up. Just sectioning wood for half the wedge production would have taken all the time with a knife and baton.

3. A regular Mora makes fuzzies from damp wood just fine - and you can carry it around your neck. So why would a person want a big leuku? Well to use two handed with the blade at 45 degrees to the wood and to make a shovelful of fuzzies fast of course. That's why i like the 7" version! Not everyone lives in a place which makes Wales look like a desert, but we all understand fire - tea- now.

Actually for around here it's a bit more than a stick. But it was sawn through at both ends and was driftwood on a beach. I was careful not to lie about the size:

14splittootherend.jpg

If I'd have done things properly, considering the cracks in the log, then I'd have that log cracked and had time to build a fire and brew up before the tide came in. But the point was that I could crack the log any way I wanted.

Back in the day my buddy who worked for forestry here would go and chainsaw some fallen trees and then drive to remote camp-sites and make firewood piles. Being a bit of a joker he would take down some "wolf" trees - those growing away from others and so branches and knots from the ground up. Nest time around he would see how much progress people had made on splitting those Actually if one uses wedges made from curly groined wood (trunk/root) and is prepared to wait the week for the split to continue - it's trivial.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
So it's simply a case of, batton in a few pieces of super tough wood together? And you used the Leuku to do this? I NEED ONE!!! ;)

No, as I said I used a tiny hatchet for that one - total weight 10oz, so it really is tiny. It was in response to someone making fun and asking just what i can split with a hatchet which looks like a child's toy. I did cheat and use a saw to cut a pole into lengths for wedges due to the tide coming in and time constraints. The broken stick on the left is the first baton which wasn't up to the job.

14wedgeandbaton.jpg

14splittingwedges.jpg

While such a tiny hatchet will obviously shape wedges, it does so best with narrow wedges - and better are thin but wide wedges. So with a leuku, because of the shape and wide blade I could have used it with a baton to make the cuts into the log. It would then have been better for shaping wider wedges far faster since being a knife with a long blade, it's better for slicing jobs.The wedges do need to be well shaped to pound in easily.

The short answer is that the leuku is a far more advanced woodworking tool than many would give it credit for. With any capable saw, a leuku and a baton made with the other tools, any log can be split.

The longer answer is that you sure wouldn't want to baton your leuku into a log and then get it stuck with tide coming in. No matter how your leuku is made, it will have flat sides which are concave and so a lip behind the shoulder of the cutting bevel. With its wider blade, a leuku is more work than a regular Mora, but you put a sheet of 350 grit emery on top of some dampened newspaper so things don't slip around or you get some rubber, then you just rub the FLAT (actually really concave) sides of your leuku on that until the scratches come to the middle of the flat. Now you just continue using your worn out (or finer) emery until things get shiny, and then you use some cardboard with green buffing compound until everything is as shiny as brand new. Yep it's a few hours, but it can be done without looking, so no huge imposition. Then your blade will work better and sure won't ever get stuck. Sucks to have pretty black forge scale on the sides though, and watch it go... You get over that when things work better.

So it's simply a case of, batton in a few pieces of super tough wood together? And you used the Leuku to do this? I NEED ONE!!!

Wedges work - on anything. Sometimes with that knotty piece of firewood that no-one has been able to split in a decade with anything - well they might take longer.
If you want to see fast with wooden wedges then consider that back in the old days trees were hauled in, then split with wooden wedges and the poll of the axe, before sectioning up. Using a metal axe poll removes a lot of the elasticity issues and an axe being well balanced... Well since I never bet I had to see how fast I could split a log that way. I guess it's a bit bigger, but was split in a fraction of the time, and this is seasoned driftwood.
wedging5.jpg

As I recall that was my first splitting experiment, and it's a wonder that the split is so straight with so few poor wedges. Good enough for firewood, though! And with a saw and leuku I could have done a better job, if more slowly on the slightly bigger log. Or one twice or many times the diameter. The pictures are just to say that I'm not making this stuff up as I go along. With someone tossing me wedges a couple of feet long by 6" and thin and well made, that log in five to ten minutes, and better split.

All the time I learn stuff about the leuku I've faithfully carried for over a decade. In a short while I'll be using one to process the few salmon I keep. I could never have imagined a leuku used to process fish but then I was watching an old Scandi film about a boy who goes to visit his relatives at a farm with a cursed burial mound.. It took me a while to learn to use a regular Mora for fish processing, and I guess it'll take me longer to figure the leuku - but apparently it does work..
I've got a lot of knives still, but it's hard to think of a larger blade which would be so easy to carry as a leuku yet accomplish so much at so many varied tasks.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
My first attempt to split a 7 foot seasoned pine log, with a couple of wedges, straight down the middle, with a very small dave budd forged hawk, [which weighs half of a gransfors wildlife hatchet]

And it worked very well.

A small knife and a small hatchet can do a hell of a lot of work.

attachment.php

My first attempt to split a 7 foot seasoned pine log, with a couple of wedges, straight down the middle, with a very small dave budd forged hawk, [which weighs half of a gransfors wildlife hatchet]

And it worked very well.

A small knife and a small hatchet can do a hell of a lot of work.

attachment.php

I didn't think you guys had anything big left!
I shall always remember when GB wanted to say that their forest axe was big enough for any forest now.
They never did reply but I'm sure you can spot the "GB" "Forest" axe.
sprucegsfa.jpg

"It's in there!", said the bartender serving up a warm glass of gin with human hair in it in "Rustler's Rhapsody"

One of my favourite movies!

That's a big tree!

Old jimbo, what length is yours? I see they go up to 9"!

I guess we better get to this, since I keep emailing Admin re my account issues with no response, and might get turfed out soon...

That's a Sitka spruce and probably now the last big one in western Canada. I think the diameter is 11 feet plus. It was left because of imperfections, but the stumps of bigger ones still exist.

I've found a 7" leuku to be adequate for my needs and handy because of its weight and size. All the tree splitting stuff is of interest when considering what to do when confronted by big wood while having smaller tools. Sectioning the logs first with my usual 15" saw carried would be out of the question, and it would be too much work with a small boys' axe. Splitting the wood first then makes sense, and so is not a stunt. Once the log is split into two, further splitting is easy and goes fast since my need is firewood not even planks. And all that could happen with a leuku and small take down saw - so 20oz (or the same weight as a GB Wildlife hatchet). Could I have done the whole job with just a leuku - yes - despite my saying in the past that sectioning a seasoned pole of 5" diameter is hard and about an hour with a knife and baton. On a beach a 5" diameter pole is usually about 15-20 feet long and needed wedges are thin. So you cut into into the pole and then wedge the short end between two logs and swing on the long end. I only experimented on a beach so that's all I know.. Gosh that was a few years ago when I was overweight but with very strong arms.. Salt-water impregnated wood is hard to split so a person has to hang and bounce a while to get the wood to split up as well as down.

At some point weight always comes into the argument and so far I have found the 7" leuku to fit the bill. You see that these blades have width too, which helps tremendously with woodworking (with baton) but which means that they don't scale up well in terms of added weight with length. You aren't going to get more chopping ability based on my experience with many blades, and certainly no more prying ability. I have a 1/4" thick 11" blade western style golok of A2 so I have experience. All that being said, if you go for an 8", 9" 10" and you find yourself carrying it all day with no issues, then super.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE