Best Headtorch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
That looks good. IIRC LEDlenser gets good feedback regarding durability too.

I'm put off by the lack of data on run times, and the Fenix HP25R seems (compared to the slightly dubious data I've been able to find on the LEDLenser) to have more efficient lumen-minute performance.

I have one of the LED Lenser head torches mentioned above. It's my work head torch so gets abused. The first one failed at the cable point into the battery compartment but the present one is going strong.

On full beam it is mighty bright and I'd say the product data in the link above is fairly accurate in that I get about 6 hours on full beem with a full charge. I love so many aspects about it. You can adjust the light spread, intensity easily. It can take AA batteries as well as the rechargeable one supplied. The rechargeable battery can be topped up either via a USB port or plug top. I usually charge mine in the van via USB (think there might be a 12V cigeratte lighter cable too).

I'm personally finding the weight of the battery pack too much, but that is a personal thing. That said it comes with a cable so you can wear the battery pack on your belt or put it in a pocket to keep it warm.

The only genuine negative I have found is that the on/off button is too easy to accidentally turn on when in my bergan.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
For a long time I had a Petzl Tikka XP, still have it, and it still works, but hasn't had much outing time for the last couple of years. It ran on three AAA, but incorporated a diffuser for flood/throw. A friend showed me his Zebra light and I ended up getting a Fenix HL50 which I have so far only run on 123As, but have been very happy with. It does not have a lot of throw, but is plenty bright, but I pair it with either a Fenix LD10 or PD30 to get distance, I can use the same batteries, either AA or 123A to run the head torch and one or other of the hand helds. I like the two light approach, no fiddling with the head torch to change its focus and less compromise on function when I need to light something further away.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
We've had 4 alpkit headtorches and all have died after a couple of years. We think it's the connections between the battery and torch part. Personally I'd stay clear of them. Never tried a Fenix torch but they do seem to get good reviews.
Which model?

My gamma has had heavy use for years and is still going strong. Friends use them and all rate them, with the sole failure point being the battery compartment being difficult to close - if you are clumsy and force it, you can break it.

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
Definitely petzl are the best. My little one has lasted years, although can't remember the model.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
Which model?

My gamma has had heavy use for years and is still going strong. Friends use them and all rate them, with the sole failure point being the battery compartment being difficult to close - if you are clumsy and force it, you can break it.

All Gamma's. 2 were mine, 2 my wife. 1 was a battery compartment and 1 the cable. Don't recall the other two, but given how cheap they were they all just got tossed upon failure.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Thanks for the replies. I stuck with the Fenix HP25R in the end - after a deal came up and I got it for £49 delivered.

I've not had much use so far, and I haven't got fully to grips with the interface. So far it has impressed and overall I'm very pleased.

My only real negative is more a failing of a lack of foresight on my part.

In driving rain, ideally, I'd wear a cap over the top of the head torch. The Fenix is quite a tall design. A few other designs (Nitecore and zebralight both do one) are a long barrel shape that fits better under a cap in this way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE