M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
1003116_512250418840053_1049303656_n.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You ate one once? Where did you get it? Apparently now a good home made half pounder made from good ground chuck.

haytor7

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2014
devon
Florida! I just noticed your location.. this is true..- I was in fort Lauderdale when I first had a Berger..

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mind you, I have been to a few restaurants that make theirs from buffalo rather than beef. They were quite nice too, albeit leaner (dryer) I haven't tried venison ones yet but there are places that make them. I might try to make one next time I have some ground venison (I usually use it for meatloaf or bolognaise)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Florida! I just noticed your location.. this is true..- I was in fort Lauderdale when I first had a Berger..

More specifically please? There are loads and loads of cheap joints that skimp on both the quality and quantity of meat. There's a world of difference between them on the one hand and home made & quality restaurants on the other hand.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Did you not get the memo from the global conspiracy (food substitutions carried out by lizard men sub committee)?

I think they included one with my burger press

Ha. I'd forgotten that. To be honest though, they're better if you roll them out and hand pat them (they get a bit tougher if you press them too much)

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
My favorite burger, I make this quite often. Not my recipe, but Ainsley Harriots. Although I squeeze a whole lemon into the burger mix, Just my taste preference.

WILD BOAR AND CRANBERRY PATTIES WITH CITRUS CUCUMBER

I cooked these delicious and really quite sophisticated burgers while travelling down the river in a Voyageur canoe in Quebec. It was the most beautiful setting and the fragrant, juicy burgers were set off perfectly with ribbons of lemony cucumber. I used wild boar because it's a popular meat there, but minced pork is a good substitute.

SERVES 4

100g fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped

500g finely minced wild boar or pork

6 salad onions, finely chopped

3 cloves of garlic, crushed

2tsps finely chopped fresh rosemary

grated rind and juice of 1 lemon

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 cucumber

1tsp salt

TO SERVE:

1 loaf rustic bread

2tbsps olive oil

METHOD

Mix together the cranberries, pork, salad onions, garlic, rosemary, lemon rind and plenty of seasoning. Shape into 8 even-sized patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side until well browned and cooked through.

Slice the cucumber lengthways into thin ribbons using a swivel-style vegetable peeler (discard the seedy part). Sprinkle over the salt, squeeze over the lemon juice and set aside for 5 minutes.

Cut the bread into 12 slices about 1cm thick and brush with olive oil. Toast on each side, then lay a couple of strips of lemon cucumber on each slice. Place a patty on top of each and serve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE