Best daypack for around 40lbs of gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JosephMac'Q

May 22, 2014
south wales
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has got any recommendations for a good pack that can carry about 40lbs of normal lightweight camping and mountaineering gear. Im looking todo the load bearing fandance run in the beacons in January and was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations on a medium size pack as im quite puzzled to what size is normal for an event of this kind? Thanks, Joseph.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
40lbs in a daypack is the first red flag I think. I have a 3 day bag including food, shelter, axe/knife, water and sleeping bag that weighs only a pound more than that.

It goes in a 5.11 rush 72.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
Yeah, daypack is a very loose term. Squeezing the weight into a 25 job might be hard and the pack won't really be designed for it, the back system might be very uncomfortable and the build quality is unlikely to take it.
A 35 to 40 litre patrol pack may well have a frame of some sort, better shoulder straps and a waist belt. A good one may be long enough in the back length to have a hip belt and transfer the load better. It'll likely be built well enough that the seams don't explode half way round.
An alternative would be a climbing pack. My 37litre has carried 20 plus kilos of hardware and rope very comfortably. Aguille alpine are good as are berghaus but tbh there are lots out there.
Personally I'd lob it all in a proper Bergen as they are designed to carry heavy loads with the correct geometry on the back and a decent hip belt. Any extra space can easily be filled with pies and mars bars!

JosephMac'Q

May 22, 2014
south wales
The fandance require you to have 35lbs pack weight minimum. Im not taking that much kit out of choice haha!
Yes I have a bergen which I use for longer camping trips but I just thought wether something more compact would be easier.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
i'd always rather have a back system thats above the job than overload a smaller pack

the worst example of that i'v ever experienced is putting plce side pouches on a berghaus munro. orrible!

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
Nothing day / patrol pack size will ever really beat a Bergen for carrying comfort tbh. If you are doing it with webbing or have a hip belt aversion (or just really like suffering) then get something smaller but if not, the Bergen will have a much better weight distribution. It will have a frame which will transfer the load to your hips and a padded belt to carry it better.
You can always cinch it down with the compression straps.
I'd only go with a smaller pack if I was going with lightweight gear which it sounds like you won't :)

rg598

Native
Okay, now it makes sense. :) At first I got scared by the 40lb daypack thing.

The Osprey hydration packs have a pretty good frame for a small pack. I have the Manta 36 (that I have modified by cutting off a lot of stuff I don't nee). I use it to carry ammo to the range, and handles the weight fine.

If you have the money another good option would be a a frame like a Kifaru Bikini or Stone Glacier Crux, with a small pack attached to it. That will handle any weight you need.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
If it's going heavy try to keep the depth of the pack at 20cm or less, otherwise the pressure on the spine will tell, also try extra stomach padding to spread the belt pressure, found it works very well. The sabre is depth adjustable .

Repperz

Feb 3, 2014
Tonbridge area..
I used to run every once in while with my alice pack and 15kg (about 33lb it think?) overall weight just for fun and I found the suspension system was actually really comfortable when running (surprisingly) as it's waist belt moves independently of the actual pack, but modern options are probably far better.

You might want to check out mountain marathon runner bags, but as far as I know they're for carrying ultralight loads.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Exped Lightning 45 or 60? These are lightweight (~1kg), but transfer the load to the hips well, and is designed for loads upto about 25kg.

Julia

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I used to run every once in while with my alice pack and 15kg (about 33lb it think?) overall weight just for fun and I found the suspension system was actually really comfortable when running (surprisingly) as it's waist belt moves independently of the actual pack, but modern options are probably far better.

You might want to check out mountain marathon runner bags, but as far as I know they're for carrying ultralight loads.

Pffwoaar,that Alice has vertical straps easy on the shoulders!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE