Best Camping Gadgets 2014?????? HAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHAAA AA!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually I liked two of those items: 1) the bear proof cooler and 2) the luminescent tent pegs.

And while I really don't use water filters, that Life Straw is fairly common.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What a load of 'stuff' ! :sigh:

I could maybe see the Luci light thing if tent camping....but I have to wonder if their eight hours of moderate light actually takes account of the overcast UK ?

Other than that, the firesteel's it really.

Isn't it amazing the sheer volume of carp that is considered a necessity ?

atb,
M

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Actually I liked two of those items: 1) the bear proof cooler and 2) the luminescent tent pegs.

And while I really don't use water filters, that Life Straw is fairly common.

Pegs that reduce people walking into them are something I would love to see. Many companies try all sorts of things to make their pegs visible, but I am not sure of any of them.

I've seen a lot of toe injuries from people tripping over tent pegs. Its especially common first thing in the morning, they get up, maybe slightly hungover, and rather than putting boots on, put the flip flops or sandles on for round camp. Toe meet tent peg, victim to the First Aid post. Happens so so often.

What a load of 'stuff' ! :sigh:

Isn't it amazing the sheer volume of carp that is considered a necessity ?

I think this is one of the epiphanies I had with both the bushcraft and lightweight backpacking. My bag is not packed when I can't fit any more in the bag, but when I've got nothing left to take out.

Julia

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Pegs that reduce people walking into them are something I would love to see. Many companies try all sorts of things to make their pegs visible, but I am not sure of any of them

Yeah, I should have chosen my words better. Rather than saying I "liked" the luminescent tent pegs, I should have said I "liked the idea" To be honest, I obviously have no idea whether they actually work yet. As for the bear proof cooler, well, I actually have a need for that here.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Pegs that reduce people walking into them are something I would love to see. Many companies try all sorts of things to make their pegs visible, but I am not sure of any of them.

I've seen a lot of toe injuries from people tripping over tent pegs. Its especially common first thing in the morning, they get up, maybe slightly hungover, and rather than putting boots on, put the flip flops or sandles on for round camp. Toe meet tent peg, victim to the First Aid post. Happens so so often.

Ms. Swift did her ribs badly last year tripping over a tent peg at the bushcraft show. Would have been worse if she had landed on one of the other pegs though.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
If you've only a short walk into camp/car camping, I understand the cheap solar powered patio/driveway lights are good for the most dangerous tent peg locations. Just stick them in next to the offending peg. Maybe the led pegs will give out a similar amount of light? If its just daytime avoidance a large stick with orange/red/yellow insulating tape hanging off it keeps your tootsies away.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Kinda odd that it's on a the tech section, and list a ferro rod... which is pretty low on the tech scale.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There's nothing like carrying your kit for a few miles to teach you what is necessary and what is just nice to have.

Carrying your gear a few miles has more to do with hiking or backpacking than it does with "camping" though doesn't it? After all, the list was for "camping" gear.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to admit, I hammer my pegs right in. If they're sticking up that's just wasted grip on the soil I reckon.
I also changed my guylines to those reflective ones. It makes a tremendous difference to the number of accidents. Worth doing I reckon.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have to admit, I hammer my pegs right in. If they're sticking up that's just wasted grip on the soil I reckon.
I also changed my guylines to those reflective ones. It makes a tremendous difference to the number of accidents. Worth doing I reckon.

cheers,
Toddy

The actual hammering depends on the soil type TBH.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
But if you leave any of the shaft exposed then it's not going to do any blooming good holding down your guyline. On the worst stuff, like a stone shore, we just tied the guylines around rocks and buried them under other rocks.

Ah, each to their own. Me ? I bury them down close to the soil surface.

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But if you leave any of the shaft exposed then it's not going to do any blooming good holding down your guyline. On the worst stuff, like a stone shore, we just tied the guylines around rocks and buried them under other rocks.

Ah, each to their own. Me ? I bury them down close to the soil surface.

M

As do I most of the time (especially here in the sand)

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
Sawyer mini water filter - might come in handy.
Not sure if that is this year's thing but seems reasonably priced now.

I like the idea of the wood stove battery charger things. Bit too chunky for me however. Would be good if you could buy just the thermal exchanger ... I've digressed as usual. :umbrella: < ul.

Wonder if graphene is the future?

... 2014 my top choice would be.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushcraft-Expedition-Waterbag-Instant-purified/dp/B0027DK40O

Don't have one but what a great idea for a group.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE