berghaus crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BLAG

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2014
sherwood forest
I there I've been browsing ebay and noticed a berghaus crusader that sold this morning for only 45quid. It was said to be excellent condition. I was wondering why this might be so cheap and why do people prefer the vulcan over the crusader? I thought the crusader looked a better choice

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
The Atlas is the only bad big berghaus bergan, it has a bad rep due to it's military use and the complaints it received then when it was given as a replacement for the Crusaders or Vulcan II, it became a laughing stock due to dodgy straps and weaker construction, if you look around online and read the reviews and comments it is always military folks giving the bad reviews saying to fellow squaddies that they should stick with their old Crusaders or get a new Crusaders.

I have only ever had the Crusader 90+20 (with the side pockets) and find it all the rucksack i've ever needed, 90% of the time i use it without the side pockets attached and carry them separately zipped together as it makes getting on and off or in and out of public transport much easier with the width reduction, once in the wild if i am moving camp i zip them on unless going through thick brush then again i remove them as it keeps snagging up, only slight gripe but it's no prob as they are on and off in seconds compared to my Highlander 100l which has permanently attached side pockets and constant girth problems, last thing i need is more girth.

I paid £55 for mine inc postage, ex issue item in perfect condition even had the axe loops still attached to the molle straps, all in highly recommended here, only real difference i can see between the Crusader and Vulcan is the Crusader is a bit bigger by 10ltr and the Vulcan has no molle attachment points whereas the Crusader is covered in them.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Is that a new model crusader with molle on it? Don't recall mine having it way back in the 90's?

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Yes it's the new version with the internal removable water bladder pocket and drinking tube access on both shoulders.

This one

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Thanks for that; didn't know they had reinvented it. Still looks comfy! I do miss 100lb loads, not!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I know what you're saying, after filling mine once with extra clothing and food on top of my usual kit i have never filled it since when out camping/trekking, but it's nice to not have to cram all your gear in just so it fits, mine gets used all the time i even do my weekly food shopping with it, ensures i am followed around the supermarket by the security every single time.

Very comfy to carry, shoulder and waist harness makes it feel part of your body and the whole thing flexes as your body does, i use mine when cycle camping a lot especially when i can't be bothered with one of my cycle trailers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE