Benefits of liners on a knife handle.

ijohnson

Mar 10, 2024
uk
Looking for some advice from the knife handle experts please.

Thinking about buying a knife blank and doing the handle myself. I'd be doing a wooden handle, (probably walnut or bog oak if I can get some) and just wondering if liners have any benefits apart from a purely aesthetic one? Any drawbacks also, and what material is best for liners if I decide to go down that route?

Thank in advance.

ijohnson

Mar 10, 2024
uk
I'm no expert, but apart from aesthetics, liners can take up any imperfections in the side of the scales to be joined to the knife.
So does the liner material need to be softer with some 'give' to do this?
Seems the liners I have factory fitted on some of my knives don't seem that soft?

Also, if I was using epoxy or similar to help with the bond would that not do the same?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’m not an expert either but, particularly if you are using a steel that isn’t stainless it’s possible to get a reaction between some woods and the metal.

As far as I know, the main reason is aesthetic.

I once rescued a roping knife from the surf while on holiday. It was only a cheap one but I wanted to keep it as it was. As it dried out it very quickly corroded in showers of rust and blue copper oxides from the rivets. Maybe that is an exaggerated example of a possibility.

I am sure that you’ll get an answer from someone who makes knives before long :)

Reactions: ijohnson

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I'm not a maker, but I thought it was a way to add thickness to a handle without requiring the raw handle material to be as thick, as well as to add visual appeal.

I have had a knife with very thin liners but they seemed to almost squeeze out from the handle and blade stock interface. That wasn't great, I'm assuming they were softer liners that weren't finished properly or something.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Some liner materials, vulcanised fibre for example provide some shock absorption if battoning, or chopping. Better for your hands, and helps protect the glue bond. Aesthetics plays a part, and as said above, some woods react with carbon steels. The tannin in Oak can corrode steel for example. A proper glue layer should prevent that, but a liner certainly will.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE