Beetle thought extinct in UK rediscovered

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Might be of interest to any entemologists out there...

A beetle thought to be extinct in the UK since the 1940s has been rediscovered in south Devon.

The short-necked oil beetle was found by an amateur entemologist during a wildlife survey on National Trust (NT) land between Bolt Head and Bolt Tail.

The beetles were last recorded at Chailey Common, Sussex in 1948.

Up to 40 of the insects, which survive by hitching rides on miner bees as larvae and then eating the bees' eggs, were found at the Devon site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6464531.stm

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well... It's perhaps a good indicator for the miner bees - after all, for a parasitic species to survive the species it parasitizes has to be doing well. And as far as I understand from that article, the beetles were thought extinct because of the reduction in bee populations due to modern farming practices. So, if the beetles are resurging, the bees must be too.

xylaria

If you saw a miner bee or one of these beetles would you know the significance of what you are looking at?

i do wonder if our country is full of critically endangered critters which no-body knows anything about. How many little ugly bugs do we sweep out of tarp/tent corners and think they look nothing like anything we have ever seen before, and never think anything more about. You wake up and look up to an ecosystem of beetles eating spiders eating migdes eating you plus other beasties and have no idea what any them are. Make me wonder.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
So how does this fit into global warming and species disappearing?
If we lived through a time thinking this beetle was extinct did we take any measures to counteract it being extinct, and if so did it make any difference to people, or beetle being as it isn't extinct after all. Of course, if we didn't take any measures we, and beetle, appear to have managed anyway.
Doe this give the global warm pessimists any hope for the future?

ps When I woke up and saw the snow this morning I cheered loudly and thanked Mr. Blair; he has obviously solved global warming.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Nope, nothing to do with global warming this time:

But the flightless creature's natural habitats and the populations of bees they rely on have been decimated by intensive farming practices.

The NT said the coastal strip of land where the oil beetle was discovered by Bob Beckford had been managed less intensively as farmland, creating a habitat where the beetle could survive undisturbed.

Venger

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Nottingham
xylaria said:
i do wonder if our country is full of critically endangered critters which no-body knows anything about. How many little ugly bugs do we sweep out of tarp/tent corners and think they look nothing like anything we have ever seen before, and never think anything more about.

Well it gives you something else to learn :)

with over 450 species of spider and the 20,000 or species of insect (just in the UK) it'll give you something to do if you cant get out :D

a wonderful quote from David Attenborough - "for every pound of people on earth, there are 300 pounds of insect'

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Me and the pup used to walk up there a couple of times a day when we were visiting a relative at the bottom of the hill (lovely little thatched cottages)

Anyhoo, all we ever saw was rabbits!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE