Beetle ID?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
We went camping upto Grizedale forest earlier in the year and came across a few of these fellas. Well, they came across us, we had quite a few land on our tent. I was wondering if anyone knew what they were.

They are pretty large, between 1 and 2 inches in length.

Cheers

P1000407.jpg

P1000405.jpg

P1000408.jpg

P1000409.jpg

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Yep, cockchafer and it's a male too - 7 fronds on the antennae. One of my favourite and also one of the friendliest insects.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Theres really a beetle called a cockchafer? lol, Whoever came up with that name? :D

Just googled it and yes it does indeed look like one of those. Thanks guys :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Ah that clears it up then :) Must say i've had a chuckle over the name.

I was having a read on wiki about them and came across this, which also amused me somewhat

"In 1320, for instance, cockchafers were brought to court in Avignon and sentenced to withdraw within three days onto a specially designated area, otherwise they would be outlawed. Subsequently since they failed to comply, they were collected and killed."

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Yep, cockchafer and it's a male too - 7 fronds on the antennae. One of my favourite and also one of the friendliest insects.

how many fronds do the females have?

we had loads of these on the back garden last year, we have an outside light above the back door which i think attracts them, i went to answer the door a few times to find that it was cockchafers flying into the glass.

stuart

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
how many fronds do the females have?

we had loads of these on the back garden last year, we have an outside light above the back door which i think attracts them, i went to answer the door a few times to find that it was cockchafers flying into the glass.

stuart

They have 6.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
That was probably why they were attracted to our tent. We had a duel fuel lantern burning and a fire on the go. They don't half make a noise as they fly, like mini helicopters :D

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE