beeswax

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
When working leather to harden it, Ive heard folk use beeswax, is this the same type of beeswax you use to waterproof the thread while stitching leather????
And whats the proceder

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's the same stuff. If you heat the wax hot enough to melt it will in some ways *cook* the leather. Effectively it tightens up the fibres and locks them in position. The process is known a cuir bouille. It works on vegetable tanned leather so check first.
I know that armour is made from it, as are waterbottles and sometimes holsters or rifle cases.
I use it to waterproof and stiffen up the soles of courrans, the lace up Scottish shoes, and to make the catch plate for the coal from my bowl drill.
Bardster posted some excellent tutorials on how to do it.
Cheers,
Toddy

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Having just finished a leather water bottle, I can give two useful tips on this, but do search for Bardster's info on water bottles, as they are excellent!

Firstly, make sure the leather is warm before applying beeswax, this helps it soak in better, as the wax doesn't cool as quickly and the leather is more receptive to absorbing it.

Secondly, if you get too much wax on any part, it can be easily removed by hairdrying and rubbing and smoothing with a (lint-free) cloth.

Let us see pictures of it when its finished!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE