Bees and Birds!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
So I work at a school.

Yesterday I was in the IT suite doing some decorating and could hear a quiet constant chirping that I took to be a dodgy computer fan. After a while it started to annoy me to I tried to identify which computer it was. Eventually I realised it was coming from the A/C unit but when I turned the mains off, th noise persisted - lightbulb moment - birds! :rolleyes:

I popped round to a classroom that has a window looking over to the outer wall and lo and behold the hole in the brick that lets the pipe work in was unsealed and a fair size. To confirm my suspicion I saw a blue Tit (I think - nippy wee flyer!!) fly in and out a few times.

So anyway, today I'm working away still and now enjoying the noise of the chirping. At the end of the day I noticed a couple of honey bees (well, definitely not bumble!) in the room by an open window. I encouraged them out then noticed a few flying around outside - a nest! :rolleyes: I wondered if they were in the eaves so when I packed up to go home went outside and had a look. They were flying around the same wall but to my surprise they were entering and exiting and generally flying around the same hole!!

Really frustrating and quite a surprise due to the timing of only realising the birds were there yesterday and the bees have moved in today.

I wondered if the parent bird would still enter but standing and watching a while I saw it attempt a few fly bys but would soon retreat.

I guess the birds will be goners now which is a real shame but I can't see anyway that both species could survive an intervention! I am resigned to the fact that occurrences like this must happen in nature all the time. Sad, all the same.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its swarm season for bees so its likely that's what you have. I would get them sorted unless you want them in there all season....you should get at least 50,000 by August ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE