Been playing with some leather

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I Just thought I'd post these:

A while ago I made a sheath for my main user, an Enzo Trapper O1. Well it was OK, that was about it, it didn't hold it in tightly, but did the job.

Well I wanted to do a better job so I made another one and it's much better. Plus holds it nice and tight now.

As I had some leather left over (which I planned for) I made myself a possibles pouch, which I've wanted to make for ages, just never got round to. I think it turned out pretty good for a first attempt, plus it's just the right size for what I wanted (which inside is about H10xW10xD2.5cm)

The contents will change, but at the moment all I've put in it are useful bits and bobs:

They are:
SAK Camper.
Cheap lock knife from an old survival tin, only 1" but actually holds a great edge.
SAK sharpening stone.
Little fire steel with striker, it was about £2.50 from ebay, but works fantastically.
A bit of magnesium (I noticed Brisa sell a small block so I got one and chopped a bit off).
A small fishing kit.
A small sewing kit.
A couple of small rolls of wire.
A couple of rolls of waxed cotton (I put it in as it's good and strong).
A thimble.
A MRE bottle of Tabasco.
Cotton wool with petroleum jelly.
Lint out the tumbledryer with the sawdust from cutting the magnesium.

As I had a good size offcut I made a simple belt sheath for my Enzo Birk (God, I love that little knife, plus I found it actually glides through 2.5mm leather with ease, even when cutting through 4 layers of it), I took off the belt clip as I don't like them:

And lastly I haven't made one in years, but as I'm intending on making a hobo stove kit so I made a pop can stove too:

After I took those photo's I tried it with some meths and it's probably the best one I've ever made. All I used was my Ray Mears Awl (which is a brilliant awl by the way, it'll make a hole in pretty much anything) and my new EKA Swede 90.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
All looks like great kit Amon. Nice work.
Brisa has some grand stuff eh. Im so tempted by the folders they do.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks!

The folder is great, VERY strong and holds a great edge. I'll be getting there sliplock version when they start making it.

Conrad81

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Edinburgh
Great job there looks brilliant. How long did it take you to complete all the items and is it easy to attach the press studs to the possibles pouch, never worked with them before?

Cheers,
Conrad

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
The longest part is letting the leather dry after wet forming it.

The knife sheath took probably an hour or so of actual making and sewing. The pouch must of taken about 2 hours of actual making (as I made it in paper first, just a set square and ruler and pencil, no actual design plan, I just went with it). It mush of taken about 4 hours to dry. The folder sheath took half an hour or so, I actually made it while the pouch was drying.

The sewing bit I find takes the most time, I didn't saddle stich I just went one way then the other. My last one had ugly stitching, these are much better. I had a look on youtube and got the right idea. I did have a practice with an old offcut though first.

Press studs are easy. To make a hole I used a drill. They come in 4 parts, 2 for the top 2 for the bottom. You get 2 tools to hammer them on. For pouch I used 2 bits of wood to form the shape. Once I'd stitched it all together I drilled the holes. I then took out one of the bits of wood and slid in the bottom of the press stud and the metal bit you put under it. I then put it on the floor and hammered the top of it on, then did the same to the one next to it.

The Stud Closing Tool (I just googled for the name) has a flat side for the bottom press stud and a curved side for the top. So I just turned it over and did the same thing again for the lid of the pouch.

I got a bag of 25 plus the tool for £10 off ebay.

I don't know if it would be classed as a tip but to make sure they lined up I stabbed my awl though both the lid and front of the pouch at the same time (with the wood inside).

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
You deffinatly can't go wrong, they lost the plot after the 3rd film i found, but The Legend and The Return are the best

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
True. The manga is a tad more extreme though. When it finally comes out I'll be getting it on blu-ray, it was ment to come out last October in America, the new date says March.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE