Been Busy Lately (spoons and turned items)

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I thought I'd share some things that I have made recently, starting with some spoons with a difference. Although I am happy to use wooden spoons for cooking and serving, I'd rather eat off a metal spoon.

The one on the right I bought about sixteen years ago from a wood turner's stall at a craft fair. It has a turned Wych Elm handle. I use it as my yogurt eating spoon.
The two spoons on the left are inspired by it, and made by me. They have turned Holly handles, with cupro-nickel spacers (Finnish 10 Penni coin) and antler bolsters. The donor spoons came from a charity shop (10p each). The holly turns beautifully on the pole lathe, but unfortunately there is some natural staining on one handle.

Next are some big spoons carved from alder, prompted by British Red's bemoaning the lack of big spoons in the shops.

I made a turned handle for one, to take the overall length to 2 feet. The design has a 'scrapey corner', also a feature that British Red said he likes in a spoon.

Some assorted turned items, Bud vases, Light Pulls, Big Spurtles and Rolling Pins, mainly sycamore but the two larger rolling pins in alder.

Then I attempted some turned spoons (really just turned handles). Quite a steep learning curve, with a flat blank spinning in the pole lathe, but the results are quite satisfying.

These are alder, and the largest is about 16 inches long.

Finally some long turned spoons. I decided to modify my pole lathe, giving it a longer bed, so I can now turn things nearly 3 feet long. However, these two foot spoons were quite hard to turn, as there is quite a bit of 'whip' when such a long handle is turned down to size.

Top two in alder, and the bottom two in hazel, which are better spoons. Alder seems a little soft, and marks easily, especially where the pole lathe cord runs around the handle.

Thanks for looking.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Very nice work, and nice that some of your ideas wereinspired by input on the forum from another member - that's what I
call progress in the best sense of the word :)

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Some nice looking bits there.
The holly does look like it came out great on the lathe! Any chance of a close pic of those?

Ste

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Really lovely work, and I have special admiration for you turning those long spoons. Tricky work!

There are two main problem areas on turning long spoons.
1. A long spoon handle is very whippy. It can be steadied by supporting the work behind where the chisel is cutting with a gloved hand to prevent friction burns. Unfortunately this means that hand has not got so much control of the chisel.

2. The tool rest has to be further away from the spoon handle than is ideal, to accommodate the swing of the wider spoon bowl.

I'm still learning as I go along.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE