Bee keeping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I believe they are much harder to manage than langstroth/smith/national hives.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
My wife keeps bees and says that the top bar hives are still a relatively new thing so getting parts/ accessories might be difficult . As these are larger hives there is also a stronger risk of swarming because they hold so many bees . Lastly when the time comes to divide your swarm into a second hive youll need an identical hive so parts need to be interchangable ,hope this helps mate .

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
my mom (rivermom) has kept bees for few years. we recently lost the two hives to unknown reasons (they upped and died/dissapeared. the usual story these days)
she has used this oppertunity to change over from the langstrop hive type to the top bar type. we are waiting for a swarm at the moment, so at the moment the hive is empty.
the top bar hive seems like a more managable affair than the langstrop. it is smaller, and seems like a more ergonomic setup. anyone who has had to lift the top bit of a langstrop when full of honey will know how heavy and awkward it is. nosuch probs here.

i myself have had little hands-on, and do no planning. rivermom has a lot of info on subject. am sure she will get on and discuss at length. re; sourcing parts for hive. this is a bushcraft forum. everyone here seems super handy with woodwork. hives are super simple (either model) just make em.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Hi Leo,

For really good info on Top Bar Hives (TBH) I suggest you take a look at http://www.biobees.com/forum/ You'll find yourself talking to folks who range from just starting to old hands and will be able to answer any questions you might have.

Probably the biggest problem with using these hives is that as a newcomer to beekeeping you really need the support of at least another beekeeper and probably a local society, They will undoubtedly tell you to use National hives to be compatible with their kit so they can help you with various problems you might have.

I've been keeping bees for about ten years now and have a TBH awaiting some bees. probably too late for this year, but you never know. They do seem to offer a wide variety of advantages to conventional hives - especially for the small scale beekeeper. Not least of which is not needing a centrifugal extractor which start at Thornes at about £160. Just cut the comb off and eat it or put it into a muslin bag and squeeze the honey out and make candles with the wax.

You might be well advised to start with a National with which to become familiar with bees and then move onto a TBH as you may well decide beekeeping isn't for you. In which case a National is always going to be more saleable than a TBH. You'll also get far more support from the old guard within your local association if using a National.

I hope you do decide to give it a go, as the more beekeepers there are the better it is for bees. I assure you, your first jar of honey is nearly as exciting as collecting and hiving your first swarm.

Good luck

Al

Thanks for the responses guys

I had a look at the Biobees website and downloaded quite a bit of info on hive construction. Although they are obvious advocates of this method they suggested that top bar was more sympathetic to the colony, not needing the inputs that the more intensive langstroth hive need. I'm not really after pounds and pounds of honey, as you say, to produce a few jars of your own sweetness is a reward in itself.

I loved the fact that I (with my limited woodworking skills) could quite easily (and cheaply) make my own top bar hive, there was also a design with a small window through which you can view what is going on. As someone who works in the countryside I am very much in support of our industrious little bees and all they do for our wild flora; honey would just be a fascinating extra!

I do have a couple of people to call upon for advice, one being my father (who is an advocate of the more intensive method) and an African lady who suggested I try the Kenyan top bar method...

More research needed but looking forward to the challenge!

Leo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE