Bed bugs don't like silk?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
A friend who has spent many nights in mountain huts, hostels and cheap hotels while walking in wilder parts of Europe tells me that she always uses a silk sleeping bag liner because it keeps bed bugs at bay. I had never heard of this before but it intrigued me because although I prefer to sleep out rather than under a roof, I got to wondering if a silk liner would also deter other creepy crawlies and flying insects.

I personally don't like liners but have sometimes used a cotton one on its own in hot weather as a protection against flies etc. I am also reluctant to splash out on a silk liner given their high price. However, I could be converted if a silk liner could double up as a bug deterrent. Does anyone else have a view on the merits of silk liners?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Silk underwear was popular historically because lice wouldn't live in it unlike cotton so there is some basis for this.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A bit of googling suggests that there is some truth to the idea, but mostly because silk is easy to air out (actually place out in the sun so UV can do its thing).

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Bed bugs are horrible creatures, and I doubt that a silk liner will do much good, and since they like to hide in luggage, etc (hence the reason why you should always check your hotel room before you unpack your bags), even if they dont get you then, they might get you later.

My wife got given Lifeventure insecticide impregnated bag liners when she goes on overseas trips for work, and I suppose they might give you an edge. Perhaps something like this: http://www.cocoon.at/eng/show.php?doc=frameset&page=cocoon_ckat2&kat=11&prod=0

We've been hit 3 times by the horrible things (thanks to our neighbours!), and if you have a problem, then order from these guys: http://www.pestcontroldirect.co.uk/acatalog/Pest_Control_Direct_Bed_Bugs_28.html

I've bought a load of their stuff, and it works (if you are hit, get the biggest pack you can and then go nuclear). Possible worth buying some of the aerosol stuff, so you can treat any packs, etc, before you get home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE