Becker BK7 & BK13 combo (picture heavy..as usual)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Thanx for this review! You create very interesting threads although it´s about type of knives that I don´t use anymore, but still informative. A question, can these knives create a very fine fuzzstick made out of for example sprucetree? A fuzzstick that can catch a spark from a firesteel and ignite?

Well…I’m not all that good at keeping them on the stick yet…but I’d say the answer to your question is yes, in the right hands, as this is still the factory edge I’m working with.
IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Red, is there any particular wood that is "best" for a fuzz stick? I would assume hardwood is better than softwood, but I dont really know. How large a diameter stick do you like to work with?

thanks.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I find dry pine catches a spark very well, but if its fine enough, most work.

for making fuzzies to catch spark a 1" section of a dry log is better than a round stick - it creates angles to tun fine curls off - if you take curls off a corner you get very thin curls (and create a new corner in the process)

Red

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Thanks Red, it wouldn't have occured to me to use anything but a round, stick, but I see the advantage. Its kind of obvious, but I wasn't thinking out of the box as they say.

Thanks. and by the way, thank you for directing me to the thread about how to download pics. I appreciate that you took the time.

miadolfan13

Jul 11, 2011
Florida
Ok, since it is the current topic…and a new area of study for me… I did a little practice at making fuzz sticks. Now…don’t fall out of any chairs and hurt yourselves laughing…you have to remember I am an American, and that I have a thing for tactical knives. I decided if I was going to try this I wanted to try it with a smaller knife first. I didn’t do so good with the push cut…but I did get a little better results with a draw cut because it is a more familiar technique used in my woodworking. I’ll practice more on the push cut later and getting them thinner. This is a piece of Maple, a piece of Elm (I think), and a piece of Sycamore. Now that I have put another knife in this thread twice now I suppose I am obligated to do it with the Beckers now eh.

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

I found your review of the BK7 very interesting and I thought you were a pretty good guy until I went to research the SOG knife from your picture. Too bad the fuzz stick photos were stolen directly from the SOG website.

http://sogknives.com/store/E37S.html

Good luck with the practice...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I found your review of the BK7 very interesting and I thought you were a pretty good guy until I went to research the SOG knife from your picture. Too bad the fuzz stick photos were stolen directly from the SOG website.

Not being funny but how do you know for sure the picture was, as you put it, stolen straight from the SOG site?

For all you know MW supplied SOG themselves with that picture so he is fully entitled to use the photo here. Had you thought of that, I doubt it very much.

He's a long established and respected member of this forum with a history of providing us with knife reviews like this and for you to come along with your first post and accuse him of theft is totally out of order.

nokia_aid

Apr 13, 2011
herefordshire
i love my ka bar becker knives,iv got a bk2,bk7,bk9,bk13,bk14,ka bar 1248 Cutlass (Bolo) Machete and a becker tdi law enforcment ankle knife,im hoping thats it now cos i dont use these knives they just sit in a draw,lol

you can buy scales for them but the last time i looked at them they were about £40

Just for the record friend, and yes at this point I use the term loosely, the pictures on the SOG site are my photos. Chris Cashbaugh, their marketing director asked if he could use them after I sent them to him in an email discussion on the knife used.

And while I may not be the best at it, I've gotten good enough to serve my purposes.

DSC_2850.jpg

DSC_2852.jpg

DSC_2853.jpg

DSC_2856.jpg

Not being funny but how do you know for sure the picture was, as you put it, stolen straight from the SOG site?

For all you know MW supplied SOG themselves with that picture so he is fully entitled to use the photo here. Had you thought of that, I doubt it very much.

He's a long established and respected member of this forum with a history of providing us with knife reviews like this and for you to come along with your first post and accuse him of theft is totally out of order.

Thank you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE