Becker BK7 & BK13 combo (picture heavy..as usual)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ok, we have already established that I tend to like larger knives for my outings. Sometimes I like to travel very light because I may be bringing some heavy things back out with me…stones, burls, fossils, bones, petrified wood, or just odd pieces of wood….I never really know. And that, having been inspired by the UK approach to bushcraft, I am also working with some smaller knives….The following review is a work in progress involving a combination of knives in one sheath that are polar opposites. However this is another one that will likely appeal more to the military personnel or those who will be traveling through some very serious bush away from towns.

This is the Becker BK7 made by Ka-Bar knives. It has in the sheathe with it, a little knife, the BK13. Because of all the rains I haven’t done a lot with the BK13, I will be working more with it this next weekend or perhaps in the evenings.

The BK7 has an over-all length of 12.5 inches or 31.75 cm, a blade length of just over 7 inches or roughly 18 cm tip to handle, and it is 1.62 inches or just over 4 cm at the spine area between the thumb ramp and the swedge.

This is how it comes…

BK-7inthebox.jpg

It is a full tang design with the Grivory (not sure what that is yet) handle scales held on by three 5mm socket head bolts. It has a protruding tang that looks to be great for tasks such as breaking glass or plexi-glass, cracking skulls, or even batoning into ice to make a hole or gather ice to melt for water. The handle fits my hand near perfectly. I get a great grip in the conventional grip, the reverse grip, and in a rearward hold.

Grip.jpg

The sheath is made of Cordura and has multiple attachment points for carry options. It comes with a small utility blade included, and it also has a great cargo pocket that is a lot larger than most. The retention strap securely holds the knife in place and allows very little movement.

Asitcomes.jpg

SmallUtilityKnife.jpg

CargoPouches.jpg

BeckersBigandSmall.jpg

The cargo pouch is large enough that besides the BK13, which has it’s own sheath inside the pouch, it will also hold a multi-tool, a magnesium firestarter, and an Army model Swedish fire steel. I could haven gotten a few thinner things into it such as sticks of fatwood if I’d thought about it. It has an elastic webbing band around the opening to allow the pocket to expand and contract as need which also serves as a good place to tie off the firesteel and firestarter to secure them in place.

Kit.jpg

KitClosed.jpg

FireKit.jpg

The knife comes shaving sharp…

Shaves.jpg

and had no trouble whittling thin shavings.

Whittling.jpg

It made very quick work of chopping through a 1 1/2 inch Hickory limb

Chopping.jpg

and even after that and just repeatedly whittling and chopping off larger shavings from that hickory limb…

MoreChoppingRain.jpg

it is still shaving sharp, and I can’t wait to get it out in the field for a while and work with it some.

StillShaves.jpg

I found a nice seasoned Apple limb about five feet long and roughly three inches in diameter.

IMG_2107.jpg

and proceeded to chop it into four pieces. It handled that very well and took about eight or ten minutes, I was just too glad to be outside to time myself. I am not sure how familiar any of you may be with Apple wood but while it isn’t the hardest wood in the world it sure isn’t the softest either once it has seasoned some.

IMG_2113.jpg

Then it was time to see how it handled batoning. It took about six or seven licks to get through each piece, and the swedge did eventually do in the little mimosa baton I was using and for the last piece I had to use one of the pieces I had already split for a baton.

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

The blade handled all the chopping and splitting just fine, though there was some wear in the coating. The bolts did loosen a bit during the course of this and each one had to be tightened a turn and a quarter to a turn and a half, but in all honesty I forgot to check them for tightness out of the box. I have had to tighten the bolts on other manufacturers knives out of the box before and this is one reason I do not like ”hidden” bolts…I tend to be rough on my knives and like being able to tighten them back up.

IMG_2129.jpg

There was no blade distortion at all afterwards

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

And…even after that…the knife still shaves.

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

This shows just how well the balance is.

IMG_2127.jpg

A note here…. it's not just impressive only because the knife will still shave, but because of which part of the blade I shaved with....I wish there had been some hair left on my left arm to make this easier to see. If you look at these two pics and pay attention it is pretty impressive as I have yet to take a stone to this blade...haven't needed to yet. If you draw a mental line, perpendicular to the line of the spine, from where the swedge meets the spine down to the edge you can see it is still shaving at the area that has done the most work.

CopyofIMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2121-1.jpg

and if you take a good look at this pic..

IMG_2107.jpg

this is what it looked like before I started chopping.

CopyofIMG_2107.jpg

So far I am very impressed with this knife, I may set out to set up an entire primitive camp with this one as well later this summer. I hear they are going to be releasing micarta scales for it soon, I can't wait to see them.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I like the look of that, how useful was the mini knife?
It's about £90 from Heinnie as far as I can tell, if I come into funds I might get one :D

I like the look of that, how useful was the mini knife?
It's about £90 from Heinnie as far as I can tell, if I come into funds I might get one :D

I haven't used the BK13 much, I'll be trying it out later this week or this weekend.

Mistwalker yet another great review!

Keep up the good work.:You_Rock_

Thanks, I am glad you like it. I am hoping to try out the BK2 soon.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
excellent as always.

How does it compare with the SOG tigershark? I am looking for a big knife and your reviews are very helpful. thanks

Yeah great review MW

I quite fancy a set like that for camp duties

My thoughts exactly.

excellent as always.

How does it compare with the SOG tigershark? I am looking for a big knife and your reviews are very helpful. thanks

Well...that's almost comparing an orange to an apple in a way. The Tigershark has a sharper tip and would more easily penetrate, and it works good for boring holes like for that bird snare (though I think this one will do ok there) The Tigershark has a hollow grind and is a great slicer and chops deeper in each lick but with the thinner edge that actually worried me a bit... this one has a flat or saber grind and has the potention to handle more abuse over time, it has certainly taken some so far as they both did. The steel of this knife is 1095 CV hi-carbon while that of the Tigershark is AUS8 stainless. The Handle of the Tigershark is a bit more comfortably shaped and is better textured for a more sure grip if muddy or bloody in a combat environment, but the handle of this knife is more comfortable while chopping because of the absence of texture. The Tigershark doesn't come without serrations anymore and this knife doesn't come with them. Also the blade of this knife is two inches shorter than that of the Tigershark. On some levels I am actually torn between the SOG SEAL Team and this knife at the moment because it has a seven inch blade as well but I think for my current style of use, and as a bush knife, this knife is the better choice for me. In a combat situation I'd have to give it some more thought depending on what my part in it was.

Actually the BK9 is more in line with the size of the Tigershark, as both have nine inch blades, but if you look at them they are each designed for slightly different roles in knife use. So far as I can see they are both very excellent knives...it's just that the particulars of the intended use is up to the individual what is best for their needs.

Have you thought about putting a bit of thread lock on the bolt threads to hold them tight?

I am thinking about it, but I am waiting to see the new micarta scales that are supposed to be available soon before I make that decision.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The BK-7 has always been one of my favorites. I have most of the Camillus Beckers, and they almost all sport the micarta scales, which I much prefer.

extreme8d.jpg

The BK-7 has always been one of my favorites. I have most of the Camillus Beckers, and they almost all sport the micarta scales, which I much prefer.

extreme8d.jpg

I really like this one, I hope to get the BK2 next, I hear it's a really tough little knife. Did that one come uncoated or did you clean the coating off?

I like the actual shape and profile of the handle scales that come on it, shape isn't an issue for me...I just want to see the new scales before I make the decision to lok-tite, I'd actually like to have some green ones if possible in this shape.

By the way...I gotta ask this...are you in the process of making a variation of bangers and mash in that picture?

Ya know, sometimes in life there are things that come along which the more you play with them the more you like them. This BK7 is one of those things for me. I was just handling it out on the porch earlier, changing grips and just checking it out in hand a little, and realized just how much I really do like the shape of the handle. It’s just as comfortable in a reverse grip as it is in a standard one. And once I got the thong where I wanted it one position it was the perfect length for all the others.

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

Also I tend to do a lot of chopping with a rearward grip as to me it enhances chopping ability. The curve and shape of the handle make it very comfortable for me in this position but still allows for the protruding tang to use for breaking glass or…whatever.

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

and another thing I noticed starting with this picture is the really low reflectivity, it really only reflects light when the light hits it straight on. The flash on this camera could probably be used to signal spacecraft.

IMG_2145.jpg

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
thank you for the reply. I was thinking somewhat along the same lines. I think the becker is now my choice, well until you review another knife and just ruin it for me again :p

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Cool review, I've long admired this style of knife - since seeing a review of Hoodoo's. I also like the look of the RAT 7 which looks pretty similar but I'll probably be staying with my Leuku for the time being.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice to see someone else who uses a lanyard too :)

Always liked the BK7 - but hate cordura as a sheath :(. The old kydex ones seemed far better to me

thank you for the reply. I was thinking somewhat along the same lines. I think the becker is now my choice, well until you review another knife and just ruin it for me again :p

That may take a bit so.....

Cool review, I've long admired this style of knife - since seeing a review of Hoodoo's. I also like the look of the RAT 7 which looks pretty similar but I'll probably be staying with my Leuku for the time being.

Thanks, I am really liking it so far. It is proving to be a tough knife. I have liked Ka-Bar's 1095 CV for a long time.

I like the RAT 7, but I think I like the RAT 6 better.

Nice to see someone else who uses a lanyard too :)

Always liked the BK7 - but hate cordura as a sheath :(. The old kydex ones seemed far better to me

I'm starting to like the combination sheathes...kydex for durability and strength but wrapped with some material to quieten it. Trouble is that this tends to make them bulky. I'd like to have a kydex with some material tightly adhiesed to it like a clothe coating.

I definitely like my knives to have lanyards.

CopyofSBSS.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

ODA.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I suspect my dislike of cordura stems from the way it seems (with me) to fray and trap dirt. Maybe a kydex covered with thin leather would work?

Red

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I really like this one, I hope to get the BK2 next, I hear it's a really tough little knife. Did that one come uncoated or did you clean the coating off?

I like the actual shape and profile of the handle scales that come on it, shape isn't an issue for me...I just want to see the new scales before I make the decision to lok-tite, I'd actually like to have some green ones if possible in this shape.

By the way...I gotta ask this...are you in the process of making a variation of bangers and mash in that picture?

That knife is the Becker Extreme. Uncoated S30V. Very rare bird. :)

Not nearly as fancy as bangers and mash. Just fried potatoes and onions with some kielbasa thrown in.

extreme9b.jpg

taters_sausage_onions1b.jpg

I suspect my dislike of cordura stems from the way it seems (with me) to fray and trap dirt. Maybe a kydex covered with thin leather would work?

Red

I have a "thing" for the feel and quietness of leather so actually that sounds like a great idea.

That knife is the Becker Extreme. Uncoated S30V. Very rare bird. :)

Not nearly as fancy as bangers and mash. Just fried potatoes and onions with some kielbasa thrown in.

Thanks for answering my question and making me really hungry at the same time. :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I haven't used the BK13 much, I'll be trying it out later this week or this weekend.

Thanks, I am glad you like it. I am hoping to try out the BK2 soon.

The BK2 is another favorite of mine. Really, about all the "big knife" you would need. Kind of in the mini hatchet category. And perfect for hunting in heavy cover. With the old kydex sheath, you could whip out the Campanion, clip off some nasty briar clinging to your leg or a branch about to poke your eye out, and resheath it without taking your eyes off of what is ahead of you. Also good for chopping the legs off small critters. Another good one that is similar is the Crewman, but I don't know if Becker is bringing that one back.

This is the kydex sheath with an Allan Blade PackPal bolted to it.

beckerpackpalcombo1b.jpg

campanionmicarta1b.jpg

A BK7 with micarta scales.

bk7vsrat7_1b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE