Becker BK2 Mod

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA
Finished my BK2 mod. After I did a mock up of a clipped BK2, I wanted to make it a reality, so, I did.

I sent the blade out to have the clip done. Beyond my capabilities, especially with limited tools. I did do some grinding on it, because it was more of a straight swedge when I got it. I used my belt sander and sanded a curve in the swedge, to clip it more like the BK17, which was my inspiration to begin with.

I then stripped it with Citrustrip, and sanded it down with 100, then 220. I didn't want it overly shiny.

I then cleaned it all with denatured alcohol, and cold blued it. It turned out so damn good. My best bluing job to date, not that I've done too many. Amazing the results you get when you follow the instructions. ;) I wish I would have taken some photos when the blue job was finished. I had other plans though. I sanded the bluing lightly with 220 grit.

I then laid out a sheet of wax paper, and laid a piece of wide, blue painter's masking tape on it. I traced the blade out on the tape. Then I drew some tiger stripes out on the tape, and cut them out, painstakingly, I might add, with an X-acto knife. I carefully peeled it off the wax paper, and laid it across the blade. Of course, both sides. I then blued the stripes, took the tape off, and steel wooled it.

I did some touch ups on my tiger striped scales, as some of the paint peeled. It's where the snap on the retainer strap hits it. I need to make a better strap.

Anywhos, here's some photos, and lots of them. I call it, "BK2, The Warrior Edition":

Stock BK2:

bk2-1.png

The mock up:

bk2swedge.png

The mod:

008.png

010.png

016.png

018.png

022.png

027.png

034.png

040.png

044.png

045.png

053.png

054.png

057.png

060.png

Here's a few photos I took before bluing, with micarta. The last photo shows a good shot of the top of the clip:

063.png

064.png

066.png

067.png

This was a blast to put together, really enjoyed it. Been awhile since I did a mod. Thanks for looking.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
that looks really cool mate! nice one ;)

if it was sold like that I'd consider getting one!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely, really enjoyed that...right up to the nasty nylon sheath. Dear gods lose that piece of c*** and either go kydex or leather.

Love the knife though!

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA
that looks really cool mate! nice one ;)

if it was sold like that I'd consider getting one!
Thanks, appreciated. Ethan Becker saw it, and liked it.

Lovely, really enjoyed that...right up to the nasty nylon sheath. Dear gods lose that piece of c*** and either go kydex or leather.

Love the knife though!
Thanks. I actually like the sheath. Here's a mod I did to it: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87671&p=1057860#post1057860

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nope . Still hating it :)

Had the same conversation with Brian (Mistwalker) lately....either go kydex (easy to clean) or leather (tradional and easy to repair and construct in a low tech environment)

Cordura / nylon is just nasty and the worst of all worlds.

Loving the kinfe though :)

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA

Had the same conversation with Brian (Mistwalker) lately....either go kydex (easy to clean) or leather (tradional and easy to repair and construct in a low tech environment)

Not a huge kydex fan really. I do have leather sheaths, and like them okay. They came with my Condor blades. Anyways, this is about the mod, not the sheath. BTW, Mistwalker is a good dude. I really enjoy his threads.

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
I'm loving them both the knife looks absolutely stunning and I love your sheath mod gonna have to try that out with mine now thanks for sharing guess its garage time and grinding tomorrow. Wife will be pleased lol
all the best
rick

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA
I'm loving them both the knife looks absolutely stunning and I love your sheath mod gonna have to try that out with mine now thanks for sharing guess its garage time and grinding tomorrow. Wife will be pleased lol
all the best
rick
Thanks, much appreciated. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Yeah leather's my favorite too. It just looks and feels "right." Kydex not so much. Cordura or nylon is very functional though (doesn't rot and is very tough) and really not hard to clean; just toss it in the washer on "hand wash" cycle or in the top rack of the dishwasher.

bigstoney

Oct 31, 2008
Ilminster
Hi,
Love that mod. I've been a lurker over on the Becker sub-forum for quite some time now, really enjoy your input and glad to see you posting here too. I bought a BK2 sometime last year , shelved it (far too heavy) but then decided to strip it and just went a bit dippy over it, fantastic allrounder (I even don't mind the sheath....!). So since then I've acquired the BK7, 11 and most recently......the King, BK9, cripes! now, THAT is a KNIFE, wow!!

Anyways, thanks for posting your pics over here.

Dave.

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA
Hi,
Love that mod. I've been a lurker over on the Becker sub-forum for quite some time now, really enjoy your input and glad to see you posting here too. I bought a BK2 sometime last year , shelved it (far too heavy) but then decided to strip it and just went a bit dippy over it, fantastic allrounder (I even don't mind the sheath....!). So since then I've acquired the BK7, 11 and most recently......the King, BK9, cripes! now, THAT is a KNIFE, wow!!

Anyways, thanks for posting your pics over here.

Dave.
Thanks. Don't be a lurker, sign up over there. Always good to see new people.

The BK2 is a heavy beast, no doubt. I really like it though. Surprising the fine tasks it can do, once you get used to it.

003-35.png

004-34.png

Love my BK9. It's my most used Becker blade.

021-8.png

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA
I too love my BK2 i just wish I could make it Lighter..
Nice job on your Knife Mods mate
It is a heavy beast, no doubt. I bought a few of the "tweeners", the BK16, and 17, but the handles were just too small for me. I wanted more of a mid size knife, so I ended up getting a micarta Condor Bushlore, then a Condor nessmuk, then a Condor 4" basic Bushcrafter. I also bought the Condor Hudson Bay when I got the muk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE