Beaver Fever

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Any beaver prepared to gnaw down a tree then drag it across a main road and a field to reach water is not to be messed with. :lmao:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
But they really are a busy species these days. They are obviously doing some home decoration or expanding here, because they have taken down quite a lot of trees here these last few weeks.
They seem to love Birch in particular. Come to think about it, I´ve never seen a pine or spruce tree taken down by beaver, only leaf trees.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Birch is sweet wood = reasonable sugar content which can be rendered down for syrup (nice smoky birch flavor). Also fermented as beer & wine (skull-buster.)
Aspen poplar and the twigs on cottonwoods have edible bark (for a beaver).
I don't think that they care at all for the sticky sap resins of the conifers.

They're building a lot now to increase the pond water depth before winter freezes the surface.
Here, they plug the culverts and use the logging road itself as the dam.
Then the water level is high enough to flood the road, to erode the road, to destroy the road
as the road bed becomes water-saturated.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
That makes sense :) Even humans love Birch juice, no wonder they do to.
I have to say that I am fond of these big rats. I hope I get to see them in action again before the end of this week. Sleeping bag+food+patience= Beaver show!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I hope that you do, too. Have had them come out of the water and sit 2-3m away with food twigs.
Absolutely silent as I was focussed on fishing.
Some photographers will wreck a short length of dam to get their attention to fix it.

Have you got porcupine in Norway?

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
2-3 meter away? That is amazing! Lucky you!
Wreck the dam...Possibility of getting pictures in adequate light...Oh don´t put ideas in my head now!

No, we don´t have porcupines here. The closest thing is maybe our tiny hedgehog? :lmao:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yeah, has happened just twice with me too stupid to comprehend my surroundings.
Local beaver like carrots, tops and all.
If you get to see them cut down a big tree, watch for them to harvest all the small top branches.
Out in the pond, they will dive to anchor that stuff in the muddy bottom = food for over the winter
when the pond is frozen over. There's an air shaft in the lodge.

Adult porcupine are beaver-size and bigger. They doze off in the winter like squirrels but do get out and about to eat tree twigs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE