Beast of Banff

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Sorry to sound cynical here but it didn't look very 'big' to me. Looked like a large, black domestic cat.
I don't disbelieve that there are big cats in the UK - there must be, considering how many were released into the wild in the seventies - but no one ever seems to come up with any convincing footage :(

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
to sound cynical here but it didn't look very 'big' to me. Looked like a large, black domestic cat

exactly what i though, would have been better if they measured the height on the fence where the cat reached
leon

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
I saw that video on the news and I thought that's a domestic cat. So I took one of our cats (head and body 50 cm, 30 cm to shoulder) out, put her beside a fence and looked from a little way off with binoculars. Now I'm sure it's a domestic cat in the film.

For comparison a lynx is 70 to 110 cm head and body length and 60 - 75 cm to the shoulder. A puma is 95 -195 cm head and body and 60 - 70 cm to the shoulder. An agricultural fence is about 1 metre high.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Looking at some things through an optical device can give a false sense of perpesctive.
I clocked a cat in a field of cows from a hide once and when i looked at it through the scope it appeared 'big' in comparison to the cattle lying and standing.
However i did see a 'cat' disappear into the hedgerow one night when nightshift and the tail was classic panther style...I can't say if was a biggie or not but it was sighted in an area where they have been said to occur.
Tom.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
A friend of mine chases these stories around the country and he does have one clip of a black cat walking alongside a tractor, a wooden board is then place beside the tractor at the beasts shoulder heiight and it was bigger than a domestic - I can't remember the height but I will see if I can get it to post.
He was also adamant of this story below from start to finish
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4830320.stm

The black cat hit on the road on Exmoor only weighed 10lbs, its strange but most of the Big Cats aren't that big at all, more like big moggies but built along puma lines.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
The black cat hit on the road on Exmoor only weighed 10lbs, its strange but most of the Big Cats aren't that big at all, more like big moggies but built along puma lines.

totally agree, they are surprisingly small sometimes - and i dont mean just young, although that could be a factor. the shape and build is the key.
if you ever go to Barcelona have a look in the zoo, the jaguar there is very small. maybe its something to do with the fact its kept in a bloody raquet ball court while some people find it amusing to rattle plastic bags at him to wind him up. gutted.

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
The film seems to be shot with a long lens, which is why I used binoculars to look at my cat. I think a 10 lb cat is not by definition a big cat, although there are many species of small wildcats all over the world.
I think I'm correct that the only regularly occuring black big cat is the jaguar which has a head and body length of 112 - 185 cm, and a shoulder height of 68 - 76 cm. These big cats weigh 50 - 100 kg, which sheep sized:Wow:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE